Giant robber fly with blue wings

orionmystery

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
orionmystery.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Excellent capture! I'm surprised that it stayed still so long. I've not had much luck with these guys. Always on the go!

Nice robber fly. We don't really get any that big here! Question: do you use a ring flash for your macros? I'd like to figure out how to bring out all the individual lenses in the eyes.

Excellent capture! I'm surprised that it stayed still so long. I've not had much luck with these guys. Always on the go!

Thanks macromac. This one was surprisingly cooperative. Not sure why. Maybe just molted...or maybe dying?

Nice robber fly. We don't really get any that big here! Question: do you use a ring flash for your macros? I'd like to figure out how to bring out all the individual lenses in the eyes.

Thanks, Infinite_Day. Not ring flash but twin flash: MT24EX concave diffuser quick update | Up Close with Nature

Ah - OK. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I will not have the free funds for the equivalent Nikon set-up for quite some time. I may try an inexpensive ring flash just to see what kind of results I can get in the meanwhile. That's a very nice set-up you have.

Ah - OK. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I will not have the free funds for the equivalent Nikon set-up for quite some time. I may try an inexpensive ring flash just to see what kind of results I can get in the meanwhile. That's a very nice set-up you have.

Do you have a shoe mount flash? You can always make a diffuser.

5815416896_f167f6566a_b.jpg

5814822459_3cafe85aae_z.jpg

Edited: Removed the photo's I posted. Don't want to clutter orions thread. Sorry bud.

Last edited:
Great set! I love the first one, beautifully done.

Infinite... if you have a Speedlite, an on-flash diffuser works great. I often use a Lastolite 8"x8" softbox, and it puts out very nice light for macro. There are also the Fotodiox versions which I have used also.. much less expensive, and work well. Or you can do a DIY, as Jake mentioned.. lots of stuff on the web about these!

Amazon.com: Fotodiox 8"x12" Softbox for Nikon Flash, Canon Speedlight, for Nikon SB-600, SB-800, SB-900 Flash, Canon Speedlite 380EX, 430EX, 430EX II, 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, Vivita Flash, Sunpack, Nissin,Sigma, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonica Lumi
Amazon.com: Fotodiox 6"x8" Softbox for Nikon Flash, Canon Speedlight, for Nikon SB-600, SB-800, SB-900 Flash, Canon Speedlite 380EX, 430EX, 430EX II, 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, Vivita Flash, Sunpack, Nissin,Sigma, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonica Lumix

Amazon.com: Lastolite LL LS2420S Ezybox Speed-Lite: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Kurt.. beautiful work, I love those eyes! That is quite a robber fly.. nice find! :)

Amazing detail on all the shots. I'll second cgipson's comment....the eye's! Keep up the fantastic work.

EXCELLENT, Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Most reactions

Back