Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Self explanatory really...

C&C as usual plz!

Enjoy!

IMG_5237_1.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5288_1.jpg

for the first two, pick one, they're essentially the same image, just with slight framing differences and exposure.

For all three, be more concious of your framing, look what's in your foreground and background.

Do you have access to pp-software, and if so, which one is there for you to use?

For I see more in the first two photos than meets the eye just now... Something can still be done to them to make them become more impressive.

In the last, you placed the horizon line so it divides your frame into two halves. Top half: skyline, mountains, sky. Bottom half: water (rock).
In cases like this one, there is no denying that observation of the rule of thirds creates a more compelling image. What do you want to show: the beauty and largeness of the night sky with the rim of colour from the setting sun? Then crop out the rock in the foreground, so your horizon line will automatically shift towards the bottom of your frame.

Or is it the expanse of water that appeals to you more, and do you want to say: Look at how interesting the water looks at this time of the day and how far away is the town, lit up for the night?

Then crop off the huge amount of blue, your horizon line will thus move upward and the water becomes more interesting.

A photo as balanced by a central horizon is ... well, too balanced for any kind of tension. That is why the rule of thirds sure applies in a photo of this kind.

Since you mark your photos as "Ok to edit", I thought I might as well show you that there is more in them than meets the eye just now, indeed, and that you can actually make two quite different photos out of the first two, by emphasising different things.

Like in the first I feel you might want to show quite clearly how lovely the sky looked behind the Moroccan (?) coastline, but the part of Gibraltar that forms your foreground should ALSO be seen.

lostcase_gib_IMG_5238_myedit.jpg

So I selectively highlighted the town (levels after having used the lasso tool feathered at 20 pixels), emphasised the shadows of the mountain range and water expanse, lowered the shadows even more in the sky section alone (all only levels), then added the colour contrast for red alone on the selected water section to +30 and applied a bit of unsharp mask (which SHARPENS the photo) as my final step.

In the other, I feel you might want to emphasise the magic pink hue that fell across EVERYTHING in that moment of the sun already set behind the mountains, so I tried to show that more in the edition of the second photo:

lostcase_gib_IMG_5237_1_myedit.jpg

As you can see, I cropped off even the remaining bit of sky, for that plays no part in this photo (not even in yours, there is far too little of it, it cannot have been of any importance to you when you took the photo), only the colour on the expanse of water and tinting the town is important here, so I enhanced that a little by upping the colour contrast for red to +20. I also played with the levels for the town (one step) and the water (another step).

Maybe you like what I saw is there in your photos?

Wow, this takes me back. In 1976, when I was 11, I spent the whole summer in Gibraltar with my aunt and uncle, who lived in Red Sands Road. The view out across the dockyard didn't look like that - all those blocks of flats... I don't suppose the dockyard (where my uncle worked) is even there now.

That summer provides some of the most vivid memories of my whole life. I've just searched and found more of your photos, but keep them coming. :wink:

Kevin this is the north part of town, dockyard is in the south part and is still there!

as for lafoto... OMG!! i need to get into ps a lot more!! those are incredible! thats what i was attempting but i couldnt get!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back