Gimp .. Any good?

thebutler4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone use the Photo editing software "Gimp"? .. what are your thoughts .. it seems to be really close to PhotoShop other than the more advanced editing .. but for touchups, crops etc.

I've never used PS. Never needed to. GIMP does what I need it to do.

Gimp is very powerful, but a little ungainly to navigate. But, since the comparison is Gimp being open-source (read: FREE) Vs Photoshop costing $700, it's a no-brainer in my humble opinion.

Gimp is very powerful, but a little ungainly to navigate. But, since the comparison is Gimp being open-source (read: FREE) Vs Photoshop costing $700, it's a no-brainer in my humble opinion.

CS5 is currently selling at $300, until April 4th I believe... finally picked it up myself... and Wow I love it... been using Gimp for a year or 2 now and while its a great free alternative and a great intro to using layers etc it just doesnt compare to photoshop ( of course ). I recommend it if you dont want to pay the premium for PS.

The Adobe site has Photoshop CS5 at $699. Does someone else have it on special?

Last edited:
CS5 > *

Gimp is great until you have the $$$ to get PS, IMHO. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who could take a picture with a point and shoot and edit it with ms paint and end up with a better finished product than I could with 10k in camera gear and 1k in software. :confused:

Like all things, it is what you make of it. Gimp is plenty capable though.

Last edited:
Download & install it. Dink around with it. See if you like it.

If not, delete it and go spend your hard-earned money.

Ive used GIMP for a while, and it works pretty good 99% of the time. The only problems I have with it is navagating in it. Just like most of the others are sayin, its fine for the basics but you get what you pay for.

I used Gimp before getting Photoshop. I found it very powerful, but difficult to learn. I didn't use it for very long before I got PS so never really got good with it.

Gimp is very good editing software and very capable also for more advanced editing as it has layers and masks. Really worth to try it out.

Most reactions

Back