Gimp resizing question

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know how to resize in GIMP but photoshop has a "Save to Web" feature, which allows you save a file at a pixel count, say 800x600, but still keep it detailed with a higher file size. When I resize in GIMP, it takes it down to 300k. I'm not sure I can even do this in GIMP, but I figured I'd ask anyway

What are you looking to do? I dont quite understand the question. Are you looking to reduce the size of the image file for posting on the web? or are you trying to keep the quality?

If you are trying to reduce the file size yes you can do that by scaling the image. Reduce the dpi to 72ish. I believe that is the ok for web DPI. Then save. You can also reduce the file size by choosing a lower jpeg quality when saving.

I'm trying to upload to 1x.com and here is the guidelines

1. File must be stored in JPEG format

2. File should not exceed 2MB, but have as high quality as possible. Use the "Save for web"-feature in Photoshop and adjust compression so it never exceeds 2MB but is as high as possible.

3.The horizontal resolution (width) of your file should be between 350 and 950 pixels. The vertical resolution (height) should be between 300 and 850 pixels.

I'm having a hard time with this because when I save my image at 800x600, its nowhere near 2MB, its like 500k. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if that's as high of a resolution as I can get at 800x600. Driving me crazy!!!

I'm trying to upload to 1x.com and here is the guidelines

1. File must be stored in JPEG format

2. File should not exceed 2MB, but have as high quality as possible. Use the "Save for web"-feature in Photoshop and adjust compression so it never exceeds 2MB but is as high as possible.

3.The horizontal resolution (width) of your file should be between 350 and 950 pixels. The vertical resolution (height) should be between 300 and 850 pixels.

I'm having a hard time with this because when I save my image at 800x600, its nowhere near 2MB, its like 500k. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if that's as high of a resolution as I can get at 800x600. Driving me crazy!!!

Thats not an issue really. 2MB is not required 500k will be just fine. There is no reason to need your imaged to be 2MB really. If you were uploading a .tif file (dont know if its allowed or not) that would use more of the limit. I am guessing you are posting to this site for use here? If so 500K will more than likely be just fine.

Cool man thanks, after reading through their forums it appears that around 500k is the average size given their size restrictions on the photos. I just wasn't sure if their was a way of scaling the picture down and having it come up near 2MB but at the resolution of 800x600, the photo won't be close. Thanks for the info

Most reactions

New Topics

Back