Giving away a Canon 7D and 28-135 kit lens (+ a few extras)

I spoke with fjrabon and he told me that he was ok with me mending my original entry for one that will help a friend, and father figure get back into photography.

I meet him almost 9 years ago on a fishing forum when I asked for fishing advice and he offered to take me out on the water and show me how great the Upper Chesapeake Bay fishing is. It was the start of a great friendship. Unfortunately a year later he got sick. He found out there was a possibility he has MS and was also diagnosed with Meniere's disease. Since then he has lost his job due to illness and has had to go on disability. At the time he was out of work for 2 years and bills got tight so I decided to host a fund raising fishing tournament. He had no idea it was a function for him and I was able to raise almost $1500 to help him with his bills and remove some stress from his life at the time. He is a very proud person and does not look for handouts or ask for help. I asked him what he would have said if I asked if I could do this fund raiser for him and he said "I would have said no"! He always puts others first and would suffer before putting someone else out. Unfortunately in the time between then and now he sold his camera to help pay bills and is now fulfilling his photography hunger through a point and shoot.

Since then I have to say that he has been there for me since day one and at times I feel like I am a son of his because he is always there to give me guidance when I deal with tough times while growing as a person, friend, father, and husband. He has shown me more and helped me more then I could ever do for him and this is why I am choosing to try and win this for him. His 2 loves are photography and fishing. At some point (hopefully later then sooner) his illness will force him from doing one, I would love the chance to help him with the other.

Here are some of the images I have of his work.

Stan5 by geerlofsean, on Flickr

Stan4 by geerlofsean, on Flickr

stan3 by geerlofsean, on Flickr

Stan2 by geerlofsean, on Flickr

Stan by geerlofsean, on Flickr

For a guy who is so smart and so in tune into helping others I think he would be speechless If I was able to present him with this and extremely grateful for the chance to start shooting again!!! I know he would get some great use out of this camera as he spends alot of time with his 5 grand kids and being outdoors(loves his scenic walks and fishing when he feels upto it)

Thanks again for this opportunity!! I do not think he is a member here but if I was able to win it for him I am sure he would join and thank everyone and be a contributor to TPF for years to come and show his benefits of this contest.

Sean

Some beautiful work here. Hope to get to that point. Hope to win! Good luck to everyone.

First of all thank you very much for this opportunity, and good luck to everyone who enters.

Photography is relatively new in my life. Ive only been using my DSLR for the past 4 years. But before that I would have my Canon point and shoot camera with me everywhere I went. I own a Canon Rebel SX with the kit lens 18-55mm. The pictures I have chosen below were shot with that camera as well as a Pentax K100D 18-55mm (I borrowed my dads camera on my trip to British Columbia).

Photography is in my family. My Grandpa has always owned a SLR and now a DSLR. He use to be a aircraft mechanic. He would bring his camera to work with him and take pictures of the planes he was working on, and take pictures at the airshow. Now he is retired with many health issues he still takes his camera with him wherever he goes. From taking pictures of my Grandmas orchids, to candids of the family get togethers. My Dad has also taken up photography over the last 7 years. He does it as a hobby. He likes to take weekend drives and capture the sights around Manitoba.

Currently my photography style is nature, landscapes, plants & animals, and some portraits. Photography has always been an interest of mine. I love the thought of capturing a moment and having that memory forever. Even my photographs with no people in it have a memory attached, I will always remember what I was doing that day.

A new camera is something that would help me achieve my goals but because of current financial responsibilities its not in the budget. My ultimate goal would be to travel and take pictures of this beautiful world we live in. Right now i'm working two jobs to make ends meet that won't happen for quite a while but thats the dream. Until then I have made it my goal to take pictures of this wonderful city and province I live in (and any travel I can manage). I would also like to get more into family and photography and sports photography. My family so far consists of my boyfriend and our two cats. But a lot of our friends have started having kids and I would love to be able to take wonderful pictures for them and have tons of practice for when we start a family. I am also involved with our professional football team and would like to be able to work with them on some photography ideas I have that would enhance the fan game day experience.

Someone once told me the only way to get better at photography is to get out there and do it, books can only teach you so much, the rest you have to learn by experience. And thats what I plan on doing.

Pentax K100D 18-55mm. Victoria, British Columbia.
IMGP4453.JPG
IMGP4536.JPG
IMGP4599.JPG
Canon Rebel SX 18-55mm. Winnipeg, Manitoba.
IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG

Hi,

hope I'm not too late to put my name into the hat. I’ve been photographing for the past 20 years and just love everything about it. I have a 450D with a few lenses and a flash but I’ve been thinking of upgrading for the past 18 months or so. The main reason I’ve not been able to is that I had to help my old man out financially. His construction firm went belly up, and he is now saddled with quite some debt. I took out a loan to help him out, so I have very little money to spend on new equipment for the next 5 years.

My interests are critters and landscapes. I think the 7D would increase my perspectives dramatically, as I’m missing quite a few shots with the slow buffer speed of my 450D. The ‘2 Dial’ system and better AF would also help a lot, as well as the C modes (this has probably been my biggest restriction on my camera). The better handling of noise in low light situations would also come in very handy.

Me being in Europe I will pay for shipping, and as stipulated will offer my 450D with 18-55 lens as a gift if I get ‘chosen’. This is a great gesture from you :Hail.sml::Hail.sml::headbang:

IMG_6437-2.jpg

IMG_6483.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

IMG_7764.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_9014-3.jpg

Screensaver 146.jpg

Worms-Zoo-051.jpg

Zürich Zoo 130.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

Last edited:
2014  1-5 3043.JPG
Crocodile Monitor.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG
Leopard Gecko 6.JPG
114.JPG
I have always loved photography and animals but only recently i decided to try to go a little bit more professional than a point and shoot. I am new to photography and want to keep learning about not only photography but the world. When ever i go out looking for lizards (herping) or going to zoo Miami or just going somewhere new I take my current camera with me.

Last edited:
My goals in photography are really just to improve and learn as much as I can. I aim to shoot professionally for a living one day, and right now my focus is striving to reach that level as quickly as possible. I started out on a borrowed Canon Xsi until I could save up enough to buy a T3i. As soon as I got it I took off. I studied, read, listened, watched, and really used every tool available to me to learn more. I gained an interest in portraiture, landscape, wildlife, and just recently, street and Urban Exploration.

Photography is important to me because I chose it as a profession and because it has the power to change perspectives, the world, alter people’s views, and tell a story in a way anybody can understand. Even if someone can’t read, if they see a picture, it communicates clearly the photographers’ message, words or no. One of my favorite quotes is by Ansel Adams, where he says, “When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall become content with silence.” In essence photography has power, and that is why it is important to me.

Receiving the 7D would mean I could continue learning. My T3i has just about reached its limit, and is extremely worn. I’ve learned almost all it has to teach me, and I am in need of an upgrade and a heavier duty camera that can stand up to abuse. With a more professional grade camera I can learn more. I’ve used my camera to help teach others photography and to help them catch interest. Gear can only go so far, and my camera has stood up to everything I have put it through, no matter what the specs say. It’s reaching the end of its service life and getting a better camera will mean I can continue my learning.

In my photography I hope to express what I am really about. I want tell a story with them. Photography is important to me as an art, and I love the freedom it gives me. I want to be able to alter people’s perspective on the world through my photography. To me, photography isn’t just a paying job. It’s a medium to alter or enhance somebody’s perspectives and views of something. That is what I hope to express.
View attachment 99012

Attachments

• _MG_723.jpg
    _MG_723.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 182
  • _MG_7540.jpg
    _MG_7540.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 166
  • _MG_7607.jpg
    _MG_7607.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 182
  • _MG_7630.jpg
    _MG_7630.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 193
  • _MG_7636.jpg
    _MG_7636.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 156
  • _MG_7858 (2).jpg
    _MG_7858 (2).jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 166
  • _MG_8162.jpg
    _MG_8162.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 178
last day for submissions! After today submissions are closed and I'll probably take about a week to look over the entries then decide on a winner. Camera should be on the UPS truck around the 25th or so.

Man, you have really got a tough, tough task before you! So many really good entries and stories…it will be fun to see who you pick! I'm just glad *I* don't have to pick ONE winner out of all these worthwhile candidates!

I seem to have missed quite a lot of activity here! TPF has by far the coolest (and strangest) bunch of people I've ever known. Pretty awesome stuff @fjrabon, I doubt there's any other forum where as many giveaways are conducted as in TPF, and to giveaway a 7D is really unbelievable. I'll be keeping an eye out for your future posts. :icon_salut:

Again the pictures going up are really nice with some gorgeous color.Nice work peoples. The OP might have to put the names in a mixing chamber like a daily lottery number.The winner will win in the amount of one 7D and Crop Cents.

So, I'm not shooting much professionally any longer, so I don't need a third backup body (I currently have a D600 and a D7100). I used to primarily use this 7D for sports with my trusty 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II. While I love that combo, I decided it was too great of a lens for me to justify keeping for a camera that I almost never use any more.

I sold the lens, so that is not part of the give away, lol.

What I am giving away is a well-maintained, but well-used Canon 7D and the kit lens. Also included: a Canon battery and an aftermarket charger and a couple of aftermarket batteries and several CF cards. I long ago lost the strap, box, etc. so none of that type of stuff comes with it.

I thought about selling it, as I think I could probably get around $400-$500 for the package, but, eh, I'd much rather help somebody trying to get started with photography.

This thing is built like a tank. It is absolutely as high of a build quality as *ANY* DSLR, at any price level, I've ever used. Its build quality is better than my Nikon D600, for example. It served me very well. It focuses fast and shoots like a demon speed wise. It is absolutely a pro-grade camera. And the kit lens is probably my favorite kit lens I've had, be it Canon or Nikon.

I'm giving it away, here are the conditions:

1) You cannot currently own a DSLR above "entry level" eg Nikon D3X00 series, Canon T3i, T5, etc. If you are confused about this aspect, please ask.

2) If you own one of the aforementioned entry level DSLRs, you must offer it up on TPF as a free giveaway if you get the 7D. Obviously this is irrelevant if you don't currently own a DSLR.

3) You must write and submit an essay on what your goals with photography are, why photography is important to you, why getting this would make a huge difference to your goals that you couldn't easily get on your own and finally what you hope to express with your photography.

4) You must submit in this thread 5-10 photos you have taken that you feel best expresses your style. Don't worry about image quality due to type of camera used. These images will primarily be judged based on content, composition and message, rather than image quality. Include your "portfolio" with the essay from step 3. Also include what camera(s) you currently own or borrow, cell phones, point and shoot, D3100, whatever.

The giveaway will end and a recipient chosen after 1 month or 50 completed, valid entries, whichever comes first.

Holy cow. I can't even believe you are actually doing something so incredible as to offer your gear in a giveaway. I really couldn't believe my eyes when I first read that! Anyways, I am aware the month deadline has come and gone, but I was unsure if you'd extended the deadline so I figured I would give it my best shot.

My name is Xavier Campbell, and I am a 19 year old college student from Amarillo. I "officially" got started with photography 4 months ago on Christmas when I received a Nikon D3300, and with it a 55-300 f4-5.6 telephoto lens to go with the 18-55 kit that came with it. I'd always wanted to try photography, not with the intentions to be great or anything, I just had way too much fun with my phone camera and I'd actually been saving up to move to a DSLR for quite a while. Getting one the day of Christmas was completely unexpected. Believe me, you should have seen my face when I opened it. Before that day, I had never even picked a DSLR up, the only previous experience I had was with an old Olympus point and shoot, and my Iphone 5. That first day, I put the camera in manual and shot just about every single object in my house. I didn't have a clue what I was doing or what half of the stuff meant, but I had so much fun the first week I was determined to figure it out. So for the next few weeks that's exactly what I did. I mainly was interested in automotive photography (I'm a mechanical engineering student and a giant car nut) so I shot every single thing I could find, my buddies cars, my car, really anything to give me more experience so I could better understand what I was doing. Someone actually made the joke that my Nikon was my new best friend, and it was honestly partly true. I took it everywhere. Almost every day after class I went and found something to shoot. I really couldn't help it, I may not have had the best gear or take the best photos, but I'd found something I loved and I had the chance to do it pretty much all the time. I don't have much money for gear, all I've bought was a 35mm f/1.8 that has basically stayed glued to my camera once I realized how sharp the darned thing was at anything beyond f/2. Fast forward to now, and my goals remain the same. The overall drive to just get out and shoot is still there, and I believe will always be there. There is just way too much enjoyment in it not to. Often times I have to force myself to put my camera down and focus on all my school work. As much as I wish I could say photography pays my way through school, it doesn't, so my main focus still has to be on maintaining my grades so I can graduate. What I hope to express and share through my work is the fun I find in shooting, and my passion for anything on wheels. I've loved everything automotive since I was little, and this is finally a way for me to showcase that passion, in a sense, and share it with those who feel the same.

As to why I would benefit from a 7D, I have quite a difficult time with the focus system on my D3300. For stills, I think its great, as far as anything moving (I've shot a few local Autocross races, car rollers, etc) it is difficult to say the least. I also got a chance to shoot with it indoors in low light at Hot Import Nights Dallas where me and a buddy did media coverage for Slammedenuff, and come to find out the focus in low light is not quite spectacular either. I believe a 7D would greatly improve my motion shots, and I plan to get into local motocross and sports (track and football mainly) photography as well. It may seem like a big switch to Canon from Nikon, but I have a buddy who has lent me his T1i and 6D and it took me maybe 15 minutes to figure out the controls, they just seem to make a little bit more sense to me than any Nikon I've picked up. Ironically, I wish I could put the screen shots in here but I have used 7D listings pulled up on about 4 different tabs right now, so thats essentially what I've been set on attaining for the last several weeks.

As per your request are 10 photos, and I'm new to the whole forum system so I am hoping these get uploaded properly. All of these shots are from either my personal Nikon D3300 with either the 35mm f1.8 or my 55-300mm, or from my buddies Canon T1i with either his Sigma 10-20mm or his 50mm 1.4 that he let me borrow (he owns a 6D, so the T1 is just his backup gear). Also, not sure why it will not let me upload the other 6 shots I wanted, so the links to those should be below. I apologize in advance for not being well versed in how this forum system works and being able to figure that out. Also, my email is [email protected], I am in class more often than not, so I am not always able to be at my computer. Best of luck to you and whoever receives your gear!
Corvette C7 Z06 Flickr - Photo Sharing
March 2015 SCCA Flickr - Photo Sharing
HotImportNights-10 Flickr - Photo Sharing
HotImportNights-21 Flickr - Photo Sharing
HotImportNights-27 Flickr - Photo Sharing
HotImportNights-24 Flickr - Photo Sharing

16282349143_2a6b27d5b6_o.jpg
16872802237_17cccef114_o.jpg
17027020501_8f04a29602_o.jpg
17069829546_40b86eb451_o.jpg

Okay, after poring over the submissions and giving it a LOT of thought, I decided to go with: Michael Pohl

Things that drew me to his submission were:
1) Being a younger kid. While not an explicit requirement, part of my goal was to help enable a young photographer who is still learning, and can't afford gear on his own, continue to grow
2) His eye for composition. I felt like all of his images were expertly composed despite most being quick moving action
3) His sense for editing. Loved the way he processed his images, to get a professional, yet not overcooked style. Especially from such a young guy, when younger photographers tend to overdo everything
4) focus on sports. I feel like this is the genre that the 7D really shines, and many of his struggles with his current gear would be much easier with a 7D
5) his dedication to photography despite an incredibly hectic high school schedule. this leads me to believe he'll stay with it. It's easy to photograph when you're otherwise bored, but he seems to make time for photography where it would be very easy to find excuses not to.

This was extremely hard. More than a couple of times I considered just drawing names out of a hat. I thought all the entries were great, but a few in particular made my life really hard here.

I just realized that I can't find the back cap or the body cap for the camera, so I just placed an order for a set of those. When they arrive, and I have the winner's shipping info, it will be on its way!

Thank you, all who entered! As hard as it was, I really did enjoy reading all your submissions and looking over your incredible entries. While you all were competing for new gear, you showed that it truly isn't the gear that makes the photographer.

I look forward to watching round two of this from the sidelines when Michael offers up his camera as a giveaway, after he receives the 7D!

Last edited:
Congrats Michael! :smile: :trink39:

Most reactions

Back