Glamis Sand Dunes

Rick50

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the corner of California, Arizona, and Mexico is an area of sand dunes that are 5 miles wide and 45 miles long. The only town is Glamis, Ca. Several years ago I did some off-roading and carried an Olympus 850 Stylus camera with me. It was water proof and pretty much dust proof. Had some good times out there and thought I might share.
Sunrise:
P1000567-M.jpg

Oldsmobile Hill at sunrise:
P1000569-M.jpg

Glamis: Ann sitting on my green Kawasaki quad.
P1000570-M.jpg

Boardmanville: I think people took some signs.
P1000574-M.jpg

Me, Ann, and my sister:
DCP_0614-M.jpg

Pattons Valley: Gen George Patton used the valley for tank training in WW2.
PattonsValley-M.jpg

Ann:
Ann%40GordonsWell-M.jpg

oh.....

envy...

When we lived in SoCal our neighbors went there a lot, but this is the first time I can see what it looks like. Thank you!

In the corner of California, Arizona, and Mexico is an area of sand dunes that are 5 miles wide and 45 miles long. The only town is Glamis, Ca. Several years ago I did some off-roading and carried an Olympus 850 Stylus camera with me. It was water proof and pretty much dust proof. Had some good times out there and thought I might share.
Sunrise:

woow how can a desert be a dust proof , tell us something more about it.
P1000567-M.jpg

Oldsmobile Hill at sunrise:
P1000569-M.jpg

Glamis: Ann sitting on my green Kawasaki quad.
P1000570-M.jpg

Boardmanville: I think people took some signs.
P1000574-M.jpg

Me, Ann, and my sister:
DCP_0614-M.jpg

Pattons Valley: Gen George Patton used the valley for tank training in WW2.
PattonsValley-M.jpg

Ann:
Ann%40GordonsWell-M.jpg

On my must visit list. How far is it from Anza-Borrego? Any wineries nearby?
About 50 miles. California is 180 miles wide at the bottom for an estimate.

Avoid Thanksgiving weekend when the crowds show up. 200,000+ will be there. Lots of partying, several people will die from accidents (happens every year), Sand drags will have high HP sand cars doing over 100MPH like this guy.
P2050332-M.jpg

Whoa.
That brings back memories. P A R T Y ! ! ! !

I was born in Brawley, grew up in Tucson, but we moved back to Brawley and I did school grades 8-12 there. I graduated from high school in 1969.
Glamis was a popular spot even back then.
Gas was about $0.25 a gallon.
A very common wood shop project in high school was making a sand surf board.

For us locals, another popular, but smaller, sand dune spot was the Superstition Mountains west of Brawley and on the west side of the National Parachute Test Range.

The neighbor built a dune buggy (VW engine) and also built a child-size buggy for his son. They both fit on the same trailer.

Last edited:
Whoa.
That brings back memories. P A R T Y ! ! ! !

I was born in Brawley, grew up in Tucson, but we moved back to Brawley and I did school grades 8-12 there. I graduated from high school in 1969.
Glamis was a popular spot even back then.
Gas was about $0.25 a gallon.
A very common wood shop project in high school was making a sand surf board.

For us locals, another popular, but smaller, sand dune spot was the Superstition Mountains west of Brawley and on the west side of the National Parachute Test Range.

It's a small world. I like Brawley. Would stop every trip through for gas or sandwiches.
When I bought my buggy I went all over. Spent a day at Superstition.
This place:
IMG_0110-M.jpg

On my must visit list. How far is it from Anza-Borrego? Any wineries nearby?
One more thing. You really can't see much from the road (Hwy 78 or I-8). You need an off-road vehicle dressed for sand (Tires,etc). The is a permit fee to get in (weekly or annual pass) and one should never go alone. Being stuck back in the dunes can be hazardous. Worse yet is having an accident. Just riding the bigger dunes will scare the pants off you. Walking in sand is not easy.

One more post here for me. Here is a video on Duneing. If you go to You Tube and search Glamis Dunes there are tons.

One more thing. You really can't see much from the road (Hwy 78 or I-8). You need an off-road vehicle dressed for sand (Tires,etc). The is a permit fee to get in (weekly or annual pass) and one should never go alone. Being stuck back in the dunes can be hazardous. Worse yet is having an accident. Just riding the bigger dunes will scare the pants off you. Walking in sand is not easy.

I'll stick to the bunny slopes :)

Looks like a cool place though. So different from what I'm used to.

I'll stick to the bunny slopes :)

Looks like a cool place though. So different from what I'm used to.
It is better than any E ticket ride at Disneyland and you can always bring extra pants so you can change back at camp for those occasions. :)
I never did get up the nerve to do those big hills alone. Oldsmobile was my biggest alone. But I would follow someone and thats how it was mostly done. You would make a train and we used race radios to talk. The car in the front and in the rear always had a radio so they knew there were no drop-outs. The thrill is riding pretty much vertically down with your foot on the gas so you could get up the next hill.
And when you came up a hill you didn't dare go straight up over the top because you didn't know what was there. You would come to the top and turn and ride the ridge so you could see. The danger was if someone else was coming up the other side. Oops. Often times people would use spotters.

Anyway brings back fond memories. And since this is a public forum I can't tell you the fun at camp and the bonfires. :)

From the top of Olds looking down:
P1000580-M.jpg

Most reactions

Back