Glass before bodies

ausemmao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I kind of took this to heart. The D3x owner with the kit lens has found their mirror universe self in me :blushing:
In my defence, a lot of what I want to do and where I want to eventually be with photography depends on good light, and so I've ended up seeing the lenses as what I use and the DSLR as something I stick on the back to record an image. Maybe that just makes me a certain kind of gear whore instead.

I may also think like that because this lens dwarfs the SLR I have :lol:

So my first thoughts on the 70-200 VRI:

I now understand what 'fast focus' really is.
It's not as heavy as people make it out to be (thankfully)
The optics are fantastic.
I may have cut drinking out for months to get the cash and be on bread and water for a while, but it's worth every penny.
I need to practise at longer focal lengths a lot more.
(Cutting alcohol out for a few months really does save a ton of cash. It does however mean no alcohol :lol:)

Problems (more to do with the D3100) - the AF while quick is by no means guaranteed to focus on what you want it to. The blade of grass under the chin of my intended subject but a hundred feet behind is NOT what I want in focus, no matter how green and sharp and fantastic a piece of grass it is. Subject tracking AF would work better if there were more points so it could well...actually track through the frame instead of getting distracted by something a similarish colour on the other end.

First outing was yesterday, shooting some wakeboarding in my breaks off the water:

Duck chasing by ausemmao, on Flickr

Raley by ausemmao, on Flickr

Front roll 2 by ausemmao, on Flickr
Need to have not cut the top of his board off.

Kit by ausemmao, on Flickr

C&C always welcome.

I LOVE my 70-200vr...It's become my most used lens.

Your last frame is the only one I like, but I like it a lot. It captures the subject and implied action into the frame.

Since you allow edits of your photos, I aligned the horizon so it wasn't tilted, added a little definition using a high pass filter technique, and added an inspiring message:

WaterRider.jpg

Out of those 4, it's the only one that has all the bits I've found to be important for action - a sense of where he's come from, where he's going, who he is, and what he's doing.
It's definitely a change in eye shooting telephoto.

I like that message :)

Glass before body, at least up to a point.

In the case of shooting action sports, having a body with the Multi-CAM 3500 DX, 51 point, 15 cross-type point auto focus module may be worth more than good glass on a camera that has the Multi-CAM 1000, 9 point, 1 cross-type auto focus module.

For a studio portrait shooter, the auto focus module issue would be moot.

I did glass before body, too. Well...once I ditched Olympus for Nikon anyway.

It's going to make the day I buy a D3s even better....because I've been stuck with a max ISO of 1600, 2fps, and slow AF for years. :lol:

Most reactions

Back