Glass prices for frames. My lord!

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today I had a little mishap and the glass in my 24x36 in. frame split down the middle. I figured it was a good time to invest in some non-reflective glass for the replacement. So I called up Joann's Fabrics framing shop because they have that brilliant looking non-reflective museum acrylic stuff. Estimate at $196. I gave a shocked whistle and said thanks and promptly called up some custom glass shops around town. And they said non-glare glass would be $62. I'm going to stop by and make sure the glass doesn't have a color tint. If it doesn't I see no reason not to get it.

But $196? Does that seem ridiculous to anyone else?

Yeah $196 seems like a big bendover price to me. Actually it sounds like using sand as lube. I like to cut my own glass it is cheaper to buy it and cut it.

FOR JUST GLASS? Our Aussie dollar is worthless against the looney these days but I was still just quoted $130AU the other day for complete framing of a 32x15" print including glass.

Today I had a little mishap and the glass in my 24x36 in. frame split down the middle. I figured it was a good time to invest in some non-reflective glass for the replacement. So I called up Joann's Fabrics framing shop because they have that brilliant looking non-reflective museum acrylic stuff. Estimate at $196. I gave a shocked whistle and said thanks and promptly called up some custom glass shops around town. And they said non-glare glass would be $62. I'm going to stop by and make sure the glass doesn't have a color tint. If it doesn't I see no reason not to get it.

But $196? Does that seem ridiculous to anyone else?

Mom & pops are where you should spend your money. Places like Joann's are going to charge you an arm and a leg.

People say the same thing about photographers when you quote them $50 for an 8x10.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back