Going digital!!!! Choices choices

Which camera?

• Total voters

Spectre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a Nikon user. I love them. I'm gonna be going digital in a few months. I had already put down my name to get a D70 when they came in.... But I heard yesterday that Fujifilm was releasing an S3 Pro soon!!! First off, I love fuji, i've had a few of their consumer Digital cameras, but I didn't really wanna spend $2000 on an S2 Pro SLR. Now with the announcement of the S3 I wouldn't be suprised at all if it was in the $1500 range. In which case I'd have to give some serious thought and wait an extra month or so to weigh out the options.

Any thoughts? Has anybody here used the D100 and the S2 Pro? What did you think?

yes the d70 is wonderful......for the price.

If you can come up with the scratch, then gop with the S3. Its based on the Nikon F80, uses the Nikon F-mount lenses.

The S3 is a Nikon,just with FujiFilm written all over it.

it's a Nikon with fuji written all over it, and a kick ass super CCD. It also has a vertical grip and shutter release. the D70 won't.

its a great 6 mp censor,but when pumped to 12 MP, it is not that great, the shots i have seen out of the Canon 1Ds(11 MP) were way better. I really noticed the difference in diagonal lines on the photos. Canons were noce and smooth, while the super CCD had bad jaggies

Well, the S3 pro uses a different sensor than the S2 pro. The S2 interpolated to 12MP, the S3 actually has 12 million pixels. Kinda, each "pixel" is 2 photosensors, one large one small. I don't know how the algorithms work, but i think the computer chooses which one was more effective and uses that.

the zig zag in he fin detailed vertical lines is from the honey comb structure of the sensor.

The best pictures I've seen are when you take the 12 megapixel image and shrink it down to 2 megapixels, beautiful. And this new sensor in the S3 is supposed to have 4 times the dynamic range of traditional CCDs.

An exposure, whether it is film or a digital sensor, has receptors that are sensitive to light. So touting it as 12 megapixels is fine because there are roughly 12,000,000 receptors.

The same thing goes for the X3 sensor. It is ~3.3 megapixels but there are sensors for red, green and blue for each pixel represented. They say it's 10mp but really performs like a 6. Compared to a 6mp, it performs at or above in capturing detail.

Most reactions

Back