Many film purists get very angry when film is dismissed...
So very well put. I suspect they'll continue to get angry until the day when film is no longer manufactured which I personally think will come. And it may come sooner than many believe. Digital technology turned the photographic industry upside down in what was well under ten years.
Some will boil at my saying it but
FILM IS DEAD.
I'm not some know-it-all kid who never touched film, I'm a guy in his late 50s who spent the last 30 years being a very serious amateur photog. I have shelves full of film cameras, in both 35mm and 6x6 formats, and they sit and collect dust. I haven't burned a roll of film in what now has to be an easy 6 or 7 years. I have no plans to ever use film again. Why? Whatever there is to be learned from using film, and there is plenty, I learned years ago because there were no alternatives.
It might be beneficial to keep in mind that most all of the late photographers who are today worshiped as icons used the technology available to them at the time they walked the earth. They were not slaves to some outdated equipment and methods of capturing images.
As to schools who insist on starting with film, OK, I do see a point in there somewhere. The problems will arise with each passing year as film cameras and film itself become harder and harder to find.
Film will never leave us, some will say. Could they be right? My opinion is that film is nearly gone already. Ask yourself, how many film cameras does Nikon still make, Canon make? It doesn't matter whether either is following the demand or trying to create it, the end result is the same. Try and find film cameras on
B&H's site. You think a retailer of that size doesn't see the handwriting on the wall?
Respectfully submitted by a devoted adherent of The Pact!