Golf - another try

AceCo55

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I haven't been able to get out to the golf club, since my first golf shots, until this weekend.
Tried to take on board the suggestions. Used the 200-400mm.
Only there for half an hour so didn't get to practice as much as I would have liked.
Golf is not really an important subject for me but I would like to get better.
So I appreciate your time and thoughts as always. :D

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4: Yes, I know there is no ball in the shot and it would have been better if there had been (but I still like it!)

#5: Tried to catch the drive a bit later with hands rotating as suggested in last effort.

Much better than the first series, changing the angles makes a huge difference. These ones look like you were really thinking about the overall picture.

The last one is nicer than the others because it's more colorful. I would recommend choosing more colorful compositions firstly, but you could also boost the greens a bit in post... Notice how much brown there is in the other shots.

The last one is nicer than the others because it's more colorful. I would recommend choosing more colorful compositions firstly, but you could also boost the greens a bit in post... Notice how much brown there is in the other shots.

They are a little flat, but then it doesn't look like the greens are really all that green, skin tones and whites look ok. Perhaps just adding a little more contrast would help.

They are a little flat, but then it doesn't look like the greens are really all that green, skin tones and whites look ok. Perhaps just adding a little more contrast would help.

If I understand you, that's precisely my point. The grass is brown and dead in many of the photos. Search for compositions with more lively colors. Of course, if you're trying to make the best golf photographs. If you're just following these people around, then you can't control where the ball is or how well kept the grass is. I assume the shooter has full control which isn't always the case.

If I understand you, that's precisely my point. The grass is brown and dead in many of the photos. Search for compositions with more lively colors. Of course, if you're trying to make the best golf photographs. If you're just following these people around, then you can't control where the ball is or how well kept the grass is. I assume the shooter has full control which isn't always the case.

Recreational golf is one of those events where the shooter does have more control where they can be, pro golf, you're pretty much told. It is also one of those where the courses aren't always the best kept and you do end up with huge brown patches, sometimes you can work around them. It helps using a longer lens as well, as the OP said he used, it's just a matter of spending alot of time on the course and shooting in the greener areas.

Firstly, thankyou both for taking the time to comment - much appreciated. I would have posted earlier but it is a factore of time difference.
Imagemaker46 - as I said I DID use the 200-400 and I actually found it a much more enjoyable experience. There was more separation between me and the players and they were much less self-conscious. I seemed to have more options for composition. I also found the backgrounds were out of focus better ... so thank you for your suggestions.

Bazooka - of course you are right about the brown. It is at the end of Summer here and we have had little rain for the last 2 months. The local golf course has a very small membership and depends on lots of volunteer labour. They only water the fairways and the greens so the grass is not as "green" as it is in winter. Also the players probably spend a lot more time near the rough than the middle of the fairways!!! I will make some changes to processesing and try boosting the greens, and I will look for compositions that minimise the rough.

Looking at these, and taking into account your suggestions, it looks like I will spend more time following a group. I think that will give me more opportunity to get a wider range of compositions. Once again, thankyou, I really value your comments.

I've only shot golf a few times and have always used a long lens, like you mentioned players are less self-conscious, and it makes for a more comfortable situation to shoot in. Keep at it, you're on the right track.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back