Good camera for begginers photography class

What about a Pentax Spotmatic or a Praktica?

My advice is always to get the best you could afford... No point getting a cheapy now, and then have to upgrade later on. Unless you suspect your wife wont stick at it... ha ha.

I don't agree...

If you are making a living from photography and you depend on your equipment, sure... get the best.

but for a student, a $150 manual camera will do just as good (if not teach better) than a $1000 professional body.

Whatsa film camera.. it is essentially a light tight box with a shutter curtain to let light in at a precise amount of time. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "get the best" answer on a various number of topics...the only people who benefit from that type of shopper are the sales guys.

What about a Pentax Spotmatic or a Praktica?

Spotmatics where the predecessor to the K1000. Just like the newer K1000, they are/were wonderful cameras with the same "grassroots" feel. I have a few in my collection and they still work even after all these years. Think of it as a K1000 but with a M42 screwmount instead of bayonet style mount.

One problem you will face with a Spotmatic is that the meter is powered by a mercury battery which has been outlawed in the US and in many countries. There are other replacement options (photobattery.com) but those options just are not the same. I shoot mine with a handheld meter.

The big advantages to the Spotmatic is that they are pretty darn reliable and the lenses are plentiful for pennies... just do a search for M42 and Takumar on ebay. Some of the non-brand ones are crap and many of the Pentax/Takumars are very good. The 50mm f1.4 Takumar was considered some of the sharpest lenses of their time... unfortunately, many have yellowed over time due to the glass coating being slightly unstable (some say radioactive). I 2 of my 4 50mm Takumars have yellowed.. they still work with B&W.

Then there are things you have to deal with and keep an eye for when purchasing a camera of that age. I personally would rather see a student with a K1000 than a Spotmatic.. well.. unless you get enjoyment shooting with something old/antique (I do).

One of my favorite Pentax shooters would also make a good student camera... that is if you can live with aperture priority only with +/- exposer compensation. The advantage is that they are not that old (thus in good shape) and Pentax sold a lot of them (thus easy to find). They are relatively cheap (cost less than the MX that was also recommended) because they were the "consumer" end of the Pentax line. The slightly more updated cousin the ME-Super, which adds full manual mode, is also a good choice. Other advantages that come to mind: One of the most compact 35mm bodies you can find (smaller than K1000), special designed take up spool that makes for easy film loading, available ME-II motor/grip, bright viewfinder.

Here's mine in "SE" trim with the ME-II winder and a very sharp 50mm f1.7 Takumar.

Equip_12_RT16.jpg

small size with grip makes for a very comfortable feel.

Most reactions

Back