Good day to everyone!

Charles Murray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
My name is Charles and I'm interested in the world of photography.

I've been taking pictures for almost 10 years as a hobby. Started with my parents' coolpix or Sony whatever it was, point and shoot. Got my first dslr when I graduated high school in 2008. It was a Canon Rebel XTi. Used that for about 6 years, the I moved on to my current camera, a Canon 60D. I've acquired a few lenses over the years. Nothing too fancy, no L glass or anything unfortunately. Skip forward a few thousand pictures to now, and I feel like I'm ready to take it seriously. I love taking and editing pictures and video, and want to learn the most that I can about both before making the jump into the professional world.

Little background on myself and my skills. I am completely self taught, never taken any formal or informal courses (unless you count YouTube tutorials) and I have a ton of bad habits because of that. I also have a history of never finishing any big projects that I start. However, that changed last year. I got caught up in a big video project, finished it, and immediately thought of making the switch permanently. I then started to feel like I rushed into it all, forgetting to hone the basics, and ended up just feeling stretched too thin. So I've decided to take a few steps back, swallow my pride, and actually learn it all. I'm extremely passionate about my work and want to improve.

Most of my experience is automotive and landscapes, but I've done a few jobs with advertising and portraits. Nothing too fancy.

I'll probably ask a bunch of relatively dumb questions, but that will all change once I start getting a grasp on things.

Anyway, thanks for reading this! Have a great day.

Welcome to TPF! Sounds like you are very passionate about photography, and understand that there's always more to learn.

Hope you check out our Gallery section and post your work. Enjoy the forum! :)

An excellent although optimistic opening. I'm not sure everybody is going to say hi but I'll help you get one member closer.

Hi! Welcome to TFP.

The decision to step back was likely a good one. Now you will have the opportunity to learn from others and maybe avoid a couple of mistakes they made. ('cause I don't make mistakes. I have creative differences between expectation and reality :icon_mrgreen:)

Howdy and welcome to the group! Sounds you got some good skills already

Most reactions

New Topics

Back