Good grip for 50D?

cfusionpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a quick question because I'm thinking about getting a battery grip myself. I know it maybe a stupid question, but I just want more information because i'm new to the DSLR and more advanced equipment. What is the Vertical firing release that battery grips provide for the camera?

I maybe wording the question wrong. I should just ask, what is Vertical Firing Release? :cry:

It's a second shutter release so your right hand is in a more natural position on the side of the camera when the camera is held in the vertical position. Otherwise your right hand winds up on top of the camera, not as good a place for good steady camera control.

A good vertical grip also includes the command wheels for adjusting shutter speed and aperture, and controls for AE lock and AF lock.

To ensure the validity of your warranty you should use the camera makers grip.

It's a second shutter release so your right hand is in a more natural position on the side of the camera when the camera is held in the vertical position. Otherwise your right hand winds up on top of the camera, not as good a place for good steady camera control.

A good vertical grip also includes the command wheels for adjusting shutter speed and aperture, and controls for AE lock and AF lock.

To ensure the validity of your warranty you should use the camera makers grip.

Thanks!!!! I plan on getting Canon's battery grip for my 50d.

the one i got off adorama has the top wheel, shutter button, and the other two top buttons as well, and only cost 65$. no way was i going to spend upwards of 200$ for the canon. i'm usually all for canon brand products, but there really seemed to be no advantage to the canon grip other than the logo on the side.

the one i got off adorama has the top wheel, shutter button, and the other two top buttons as well, and only cost 65$. no way was i going to spend upwards of 200$ for the canon. i'm usually all for canon brand products, but there really seemed to be no advantage to the canon grip other than the logo on the side.

How does it perform while your shooting? I'm not feeling the $270 either but I havent spoken to anyone who has used something other than the brand of the camera.

Theres no lag or delay in button use. I think the only thing is it will sometimes get confused and disable the top click wheel if the camera is turned on with the grip in the on position already (or something like that; haven't done much testing to find out exactly why, since it seems to be pretty rare). But a quick reboot with it off, then turning it back on fixes that, and both are functional. I really can't see how the Canon could warrent 200 dollars more on top of this. Maybe its weather sealed or something?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
From the pictures it looks exactly like my flashpoint grip.

not sure where you guys are finding the canon for $200 and more. i bought mine from amazon for $156.

Amazon.com: Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip for Canon 20D, 30D, 40D & 50D Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

still a bit pricey for what it is, but i wasnt sure about the other brands. definitely makes the camera feel oooooh so nice hehe!

Its that price at my local Photography store. I'm skeptical of Amazon because when I was in undergrad, I ordered my text books and to this day, I'm still waiting for them :)

I may try Amazon 1 more time but I may just suck it up and pay full price for it, not sure yet

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
yea, i can understand the hesitation about ordering from online places. i've never had a problem with amazon and newegg personally, so i continue to order from them. i find the prices better, and the shipping time has always been great. have been using both since about 2004.

i recently signed up for amazon prime because i was ordering so much (books, equipment, etc) and with that i get free two day shipping or $3.99 per item overnight shipping. if im ordering 3 or 4 items overnight shipping ends up costing as little as or cheaper than what shipping previously cost for regular 3-5 day. its $79.99 a year i think, but it has already saved me at least that much in shipping costs with all the camera gear i've gotten since july. :D

if you're hesitant about amazon i've also ordered (and many others here have too) from b&h without issue.

Canon | BG-E2N Vertical Grip/Battery Holder | 2313B001 | B&H

...seems to be same price ($156) there as well.

sorry about your bad experience though. :(

For comparisson, here are pics of my 65$ Adorama grip:

mg9917.jpg

mg9918.jpg

does indeed look identical, and you saved about $90 over me. i did want to save money, but at the same time i just wanted something i knew would work 100%. oh well. :)

I've looked @ b&h and they have pretty good prices. I was on the Adorama site this morning and the grip was out of stock. That 79 dollars is a deal! One other quick question I have and it maybe stupid. Is it true that with the battery grip, is it true that you will get more frames per second?

Most reactions

Back