Good guidelines while creating borders for your images.

fug.li

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I searched google a lot but could not find any article online which talks about good borders for photographs.

Are there any guidelines or rules one could follow with regards to general % thickness, colors, lines, etc?

Thanks!

As I said to someone here not that long ago, go to a gallery and see how photos are displayed. White mat. The ultimate would be a medium gray but it is too reminiscent of concrete ;) Not the most appealing.

I cannot stand black frames (borders) as they change the image and I was very happy to see some members recently showing their photos with gray frames. They were floating kind of borders and looked very nice without distracting from the images.

This is not really about borders but more on displaying images. I like the gallery wraps, where the image is put on canvas and wrapped around the edge so that there is not a mat or frame, just the image.
gallerywraps.jpg

I searched google a lot but could not find any article online which talks about good borders for photographs.

Are there any guidelines or rules one could follow with regards to general % thickness, colors, lines, etc?

Thanks!
It depends so much on where it will hang.

I go to the clients home or office and check out their decor, wall colors, lighting, windows, make sketches and discuss options with them. Some get framed and matted (standard or museum), some just framed, some are gallery wrapped some done on foamcore or acrylic.

There are just a ton of variables.

Thanks for all the replies but I was not referring to framing printed pictures. Instead I wanted to know what are the best borders one could draw for digital pictures while displaying them on the internet.

For example, what kind of border would you recommend for a flickr album like this one of mine: Flickr: Fug Li's Photostream

Most reactions

Back