What's new

Good quality - moderate cost - protection filter

Overread20

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
25,507
Reaction score
5,112
Location
UK - England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I'm after one of those evil filters for protection :twisted:

Specifically a 58mm filter for protection. I'm mostly looking for the lowest cost I can get away with whilst preserving image quality as much as possible; so if anyone knows of any good ebay or regular market options I'll be very interested to hear of them.

Ps I'm in the UK so do bare that in mind a little when suggesting things - sadly the US markets do have a lot more than the UK and international post costs ;)
 
i've had good luck with tiffen filters just for UV. they are thin, no vignetting and its mounted on my 70-200 Vr lens....I know i should be using a better one like FROM nikon but since i haven't had any issues yet i'm pleased.
 
i've had good luck with tiffen filters just for UV. they are thin, no vignetting and its mounted on my 70-200 Vr lens....I know i should be using a better one like FROM nikon but since i haven't had any issues yet i'm pleased.

I used to use a Tiffen filter. I have taken it off because it was ruining some pictures.
 
what were you noticing?
 
These weird spots showed up when shooting towards windows and the sun. Here's an example. Disregard the bad picture. You can see the spot in the bottom-middle of the picture. At the time I didn't know why I was getting that. I put the camera on a tripod and took a picture towards a window, with and with out the filter. The spot wasn't there with out the filter.
:thumbdown:
DSC_0391.jpg
 
I use a Tiffen on my Sigma 18-50mm 2.8. It came with the lens and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.. Maybe yours was dirty/oily?

Mark
 
hmmm hard to tell with that photo but i have heard issues with cheap filters...maybe i got a good one?
 
AHHH i gotcha! that makes sense a subtle form of lens flare
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #12
Not seaspray but a liquid that could splash and is only a few cms at most away from the front of the lens (think 2-3cm distances). That and the liquid could prove to be abrasive to the front of the lens if cleaned off, so I want to minimise the risk to my lens with the filter.
 
Tiffen is good, as is Hoya.

Heliopan filters are not THAT much more expensive at the smaller diameters, you should consider one.
 
Jump on ebay. Grab a Hoya SHMC or Pro1 filter. They are about the best bang for buck multicoated filters you can get. If you can stretch your budget $20 more you can even get some lovely German B+W protectors.
 
I would not use one unless absolutely necessary. They can show any dust and marks shooting into light. Use a lens hood and that should give you the protection you need, unless you are shooting next to sea spray etc.

Very few professionals use them. The lens supplier wants you to buy one from them as they make a good profit on the filter, sometimes more than a £300 lens.

If you do scratch a front element than they can be replaced.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom