weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all :)I am looking for a bit of advice as at the moment I'm at a total loss!I was lucky enough to have a Canon MK1 10D given to me when my old man upgraded his camera a few years back. I've been using it since 2007, have taken thousands of photos and it's stood me in good stead but have been toying with the idea of getting a newer camera recently and a couple of lenses to boot, but have no idea what make or model I should be looking for as a modern replacement.....so I'd appreciate any advice you could give :)I'll not be looking to upgrade right now, I'm willing to wait and save for the right camera, so my budget is flexible, but probably has a max of £2500 if really pushed (absolute top end for me though, I'd rather spend a lot less!). Really what's most important to me is that I get a full manual capabilities as I do like to play about with settings and try to get the shot right through the lens! After a full manual I use Av and Tv modes the most. At the moment I take a lot of different shots and subjects under a wide variety of conditions but of particular interest to me is macro and low light photography, preferably hand held but I do own a tripod and not a flash! I'd also like to take some good portraits as well and the odd sports shot.I appreciate I'm asking for "the beginners bit of everything" here but I love the 10D and it's functionality, the bit's you can change and really I'm looking for a modern version with a bit better low light performance I recon!! I'd really apreciate any advice!!

A couple questions for you first: Are you wanting to stay with Canon? What lenses do you currently have? Would the £2500 budget be for everything or just the body?

Out of interest what kind of macro are you interested in - insects - waterdrops - flowers?

As a price starting point, since you started with a 10D you'll probably find that you'll want a second hand 40D or 50D at least for the similar build/size and specifications - the rebel series might well prove to feel a bit small in your hands (after the 10D) and also a bit lacking in build overall. The 60D is another option but isn't the upgrade of the 50D (yeah it keeps the name bit the 60D is more like a stand in between teh rebels and the 50D line - the upgrade now being called the 7D)

As already mentioned if you are happy to go second hand the 40D and 50D are good choices as the camera layouts are very similar. The 50D is more modern than the 40D and has more mp but some think the 40D is a better option. The autofocus on the 50D and the low light performance is a fair bit better than the 10D. I used both cameras recently at some low light music events in bars and the 50D faired better. The obvious advantage of the newer cameras is the ability to use EF-s lenses which on average are cheaper than their EF cousins, albeit with argueably less quality.
If your going new and like the feel of your own camera the 60d is worth a look. It doesnt feel that much different, slightly different feel, has the same autofocus as the 50d and an 18mp sensor that performs in low light even better than the 40 or 50d. Next up obviously is the 7d which is expensive but has very high specs(Thats all I know about this one)
Canon release a 100mm image stabilised macro lens recently that got very favourable reviews. My choice out of the cameras mentioned would be the 60d, more pro guys pick the 50d due it has slightly higher frames per second, micro adjust for individual lenses and pc sync for flash, and also a more solid, all mentioned cameras would be a significant upgrade to the 10D but shouldn't have a massive learning curve

Wow, replies already, thanks guys that's fast!In answer to the questions, I do have a preference for canon simply because I'm used to the layout and menu systems so I can tinker about in the back without having to look at the manual and have been around canons since I was a kid. Saying that I'd not be totally shut to the idea of changing brands though I'd need to feel it in my hands before I would be sure! As far as lenses go I've a 28-105 EF 3.5 and a 75-300 EF 4.5 both canon lenses and they really need taken apart and cleaned now. The £2500 budget would be for everything but again that would be my absolute maximum. Most of my macro shots are flowers at the moment, but I've been shooting some more abstract stuff by using the old trick of reversing the lens ;) I'd like to do some insect shots in the future, but right now am somewhat limited by my lenses (at least to get the shots that are in my head!)I've no problems with going second hand either!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back