Good SLR Digital

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't want a film vs. digital so please try and not sway this thread towards that.

I was wondering what you would suggest as a good digital camera. I love my Canon Elan 7ne, but I find that developing alone is starting to cost me. (Average $7 plus $3 for the CD) Also I never really use the prints, most of the time I edit the photo on my computer and then print it out on my Epson photo printer.

I was looking at this one, http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10464

Also I was wondering if there is any quality difference between film and digital. (Once again don't want a discussion just wondering if you compare the exact same picture taken with a digital and film camera if there is any difference)

Thanks.

With a 20D you'll have to blow a print up really big before noticing a substantial difference in quality. I'm sure someone else on here will know what size. I recently bought a D70s as I hated having to pay for film and darkroom access was hard for me if not impossible.

Generally the best way to find the right DSLR is to firstly give yourself a budget, which ideally should include costs for accessories such as memory, lenses, filters, flashes etc if you need/want them.

For it's price, the 20D from what I've read and seen is a great camera. If I had a canon film system before buying my D70s I would have bought the 20D without a doubt.

The 20D is a great camera and you will be able to get comparable quality compared to 35mm film. I also used to shoot film and use the lab scanned CD to edit the images. I now have the 20D and find the digital images to be much better than the ones from the CD. However, most people will tell you that a 35mm negative still holds more detail than just about any file from a digital camera.

Once you figure in the costs of buying a digital camera, memory cards, extra batteries maybe even a computer...it may take quite a while to equal the costs of developing film ($7 + $3). However, I find that I take many more photos with my digital than I did with film. Also, the convenience of digital is great as is the instant feed back. Another point, which may be a downside for some, is that digital camera images tend to need more adjustment than prints from film...or at least you have to make the adjustments that would be done by the lab on your prints. It takes more of your time but you have complete control over the process rather than letting the monkeys at the lab adjust your prints.

The 20D should be a good fit for you because you use the Elan 7n. The less expensive Digital Rebel XT is a good camera but is not too much like the 7n...while the 20D is. Especially, the thumb wheel and the top mounted LCD screen.

I agree with all that's been said already. The 20D is a very nice camera and feature rich. For the most part you'll find it to be a great compliment to your Elan. That and the fact that you're already a Canon user make this a smart pick.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

vonDrehle said:
Also I was wondering if there is any quality difference between film and digital. (Once again don't want a discussion just wondering if you compare the exact same picture taken with a digital and film camera if there is any difference)

It depends what you mean by "quality"? In very general terms I think you would find that images from the currently available DSLRs compare very favorably to 35mm film in most situations. There are differences, each is better with some aspects than the other. A lot of the differences, and whether they are perceived as strengths or weaknesses will vary from photographer to photographer, and what kind of photography and situations the equipment is used in.

As far as resolution goes, I think that digital has to be in the 20+mp range to match 35mm film shot on a tripod, but I don't really see a difference in my hand held photography comparing 12"x18" prints from ISO 200 color print film and from 8mp DSLR on ISO 200. The manufacturers' are going to put out the cameras in 2 and 4 megapixel increments, but as far as real, noticable leaps of quality go it's more like 2mp, 4mp, 8mp, 16mp, 32mp, etc...

I'd say go with a Canon DSLR since you've already got EOS stuff. If you had Nikon stuff I'd say go with a Nikon DSLR. I didn't really have any modern gear from either company, and I went with the 20D. Most of my photog buddies are Canon, so I've been able to see more Canon results in person, thus I chose the 20D. So many pros are using the Nikon gear, and other brands, that they all must be decent cameras. Just cruise forums like this one, read all the posts about the DSLRs you are interested in, and pick the model that has the bugs you can put up with. ;)

Get the 20D but be prepared to learn, and fast.. I just got mine and learning how to use the thing is another story. LOL..

Most reactions

Back