Got an old flash from an old 35mm camera, AND IT WORKS!

Charles89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So yeah, my father found an old camera at his office(Yashica 200-AF and it had a flash with it) Ive been looking around with the intention of buying a flash for my Canon XSI.

I tried the old Yashica CS-220 on the XSI and at my surprise it flashed !!!!!!
3510734031_b894fce8cf_b.jpg

I had to tell everyone !

Last edited:
That might have been a dangerous thing to do. Some flash units have a rather high trigger voltage that could possibly damage the camera's flash circuit.

Fortunately, I believe that all newer EOS cameras have a very high rating of 250v so most flashes are safe to use.

Did the exposure come out properly?

Yes, the exposures are very nice.

I love how changing the angle of the flash makes much better lighting effect.

Here is a snapshot of my sister while I was trying different flash angles (the flash is pointing the roof in this one, and it is much better than the shot when it points directly the lady) PS : No PP.

3512240646_f73c4ebd29_b.jpg

Yea, bouncing your flash is much better for lighting, no harsh white spots

Get a diffuser to pop on the end of it. Something like a Sto-Fen Omni Bounce. WHen you are in close like in that picutre, point the flash straight to the ceiling with the diffuser on it. You will get a larger, softer light source.

The OP got lucky that he did not burn out his camera. People should know that not all film era flashes are compatible on digital cameras. Had his camera been one of those that could not take that voltage, we'd be hearing about how someone took a shot, the flash went off once and now his camera no longer works.

Before mixing and matching old with new and between different brands... do the research and make sure you are not about to pop more than a flash with the next press of the shutter button. Matter of fact, I *still* would suggest you refrain from taking anymore shots until you know for sure what the voltage output from that flash is and if it is safe for your camera.

The OP got lucky that he did not burn out his camera. People should know that not all film era flashes are compatible on digital cameras. Had his camera been one of those that could not take that voltage, we'd be hearing about how someone took a shot, the flash went off once and now his camera no longer works.

Before mixing and matching old with new and between different brands... do the research and make sure you are not about to pop more than a flash with the next press of the shutter button. Matter of fact, I *still* would suggest you refrain from taking anymore shots until you know for sure what the voltage output from that flash is and if it is safe for your camera.

There is a very comprehensive list of flashes and their trigger voltages here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

I tought it didnt mather since the power source come from the 4 AA batteries in the flash.

Thx for letting me know I had no idea I couldve burnt my camera :S
I wouldve been soo pissed.

I just read on the internet, that the XSI max sync voltage was 250v and that the Yashica cs-220 was at like 10.4v.

So I guess its wayyy ok right ? :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back