Got my first flash!

thebeatles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After reviewing advice provided by forum members, I went ahead and got a used Vivitar 285HV and some Ebay triggers for a whopping total of $80 dollars. I got everything in the mail yesterday and messed around a bit last night. I haven't figured out how to use everything effectively yet but I figured I would post my first trail shots here as I am so excited. I know these photos have no real "value" so I am not really looking for C&C, just sharing my first attempts at off camera flash. :blushing:

IMG_5032.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

#1 dust your piano
#2 nice bokeh :lol:

Does that specific flash swivel horizontally/vertically?

I am assuming you are being sarcastic about the bokeh as it sucks. :lol:
I guess you would say it swivels vertically?
It has vertical bounce but I am not really familiar with flash lingo yet so I'm not sure what that means.

Here are another couple I took today using the 285.
4q6.jpg

256825698.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I think the bokeh is nice to my untrained eye anyways. Well, that's good it can at least bounce flash vertically. There are some flashes that swivel horizontally as well so if and when you use the flash on camera, and you position your camera vertical, you can swivel the flash and still bounce it off the ceiling. My SB400 won't do that..I think the SB800/900 will though. I'm asking because if I use flash, for now it will be on camera, as I haven't even completely grasped that idea yet :lol:

#1 sorry, just not really sure what you're lighting. Keep in mind that using flash (any light source) you should emphasize your subject matter. In this case, I don't see subject matter.
#2 split lighting is nice, HOWEVER this ISN'T one of those times

Well, that's good it can at least bounce flash vertically. There are some flashes that swivel horizontally as well so if and when you use the flash on camera, and you position your camera vertical, you can swivel the flash and still bounce it off the ceiling. My SB400 won't do that..I think the SB800/900 will though. I'm asking because if I use flash, for now it will be on camera, as I haven't even completely grasped that idea yet :lol:
Layspeed - what do you have problem understanding?

The flash seems a bit harsh. Try bouncing it off of something, shoot it through something. Never just point the flash straight at somebody!
There are times when straight is nice this happened to be not one of those times ;)

#1 sorry, just not really sure what you're lighting. Keep in mind that using flash (any light source) you should emphasize your subject matter. In this case, I don't see subject matter.
#2 split lighting is nice, HOWEVER this ISN'T one of those times

Thanks for your input, however, I know that these photos suck and was not looking for C&C as I stated above, these were merely test shots while learning how to use flash. It was really just one of those, "hey lets see what happens when I press that button and put this here...ah I see" deals. :lol:

The flash seems a bit harsh. Try bouncing it off of something, shoot it through something. Never just point the flash straight at somebody!

Thanks for the advice. I was shooting at full power before I realized what full power was and how to change that setting.:lol: I have an omni bounce attachment but I had not tried it until after those first couple shots. I'm still trying to get used to setting the camera controls and flash controls so that they work together correctly.

BTW: I noticed that if my shutter speed is 1/200 or faster, there is a black band at the bottom of my photos. Is this due to the fact that my triggers are cheap and don't sync that fast? I was going to try water drops at some point and thought that it would be hard to freeze motion unless I could use a faster shutter speed.

Last edited:
i know digital makes things easy and accessible but here's a CRAZY piece of advice. image you're shooting film - u have to buy it and develop it - all costs $. Therefore even your "what if" shots, make them count - take a shot of something USEFUL and posted at least then you can get productive feedback on how to improve specific shot (lighting, composition, etc) otherwise you're opening a can of warms and inertly devalue your skill.
Do this - go on a shoot take what you think your best, worse and mediocre and post them up, get feedback.
good luck and welcome to wonderful world of flash photography

take a shot of something USEFUL and posted at least then you can get productive feedback on how to improve specific shot (lighting, composition, etc) otherwise you're opening a can of warms and inertly devalue your skill.

I will do that when I am looking for feedback, however, as stated previously, these shot were not meant to be critiqued. I was sharing my first experience with my first flash and these pictures documented that experience, nothing more. I purchased a book and plan to read and absorb information regarding flash photography, that is how I plan to get better with flash, that and trial and error of course. I posted my "error" for everyone to see because it was relating to the experience, not because I wanted advice on how not to embarrass myself. If I wanted to "open a can of worms and inertly devalue my skill," I would post these photos and say "Hey! look at my new cool shot using my flash! C&C please!" but I did not. I provided a disclaimer in the original post.

Last edited:
IgsEMT said:
Layspeed - what do you have problem understanding?

Just saying that I really don't use flash all that much, really prefer not to when I can, which is why I "only" bought a SB400. I'm sure as I get some more time/practice in and experiment some more, I'll realize that I need to get the flash OFF my camera. If I do use the SB400, I try to always bounce it off the ceiling/walls. I find it's way too harsh direct even with a diffuser. I haven't fully grasped the idea because using the flash on camera hasn't become anywhere close to being second nature to me yet...but then again, neither has using my camera in general :lol: the beatles, sorry if is off topic!

Most reactions

Back