Got my first "L" for Christmas

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My loving wife got me my first piece of "L" series Canon glass for Christmas. Up until today, I had never seen or held one; only looked and drooled over the internet. She got me the 70-200 2.8 IS

Here are my first impressions as a true first timer to this glass...

Although I haven't done any "real" shots, chimping the colors on the LCD was a great experience. They were every bit as great as the color/contrast of my 100mm macro of which I love.

The IS functions superbly, and I look forward to trying the panning mode.

The build quality is great, but not as "awesome" as I had expected from reading all these years on the internet. I own a Sigma EX series lens that is just as solid (perhaps even better) and has a way smoother focusing ring.

The autofocus is fast and accurate. And although I haven't done any real world shots, I did upload some to the PC and they looked tack sharp!

In a short summary from someone taking a very first peek at "L" glass....its all about IQ to me. IQ is of utmost importance, but I do have to admit that after years of lens lust, getting to finally hold one of these and compairing it to Sigmas EX, the build was slightly disappointing.

The next thing I didn't like, I should have known.....Canons lens hoods are cheap feeling.....grossly. But at least they throw one in when you spend 1600 bucks for a lens.

My only other gripe is that the tripod collar placement doesn't work with my current setup. I use a Bogen pistol grip ballhead and 40D with grip. I cannot release my lens from the quick release without loosening the tripod ring and rotating the camera/lens assembly. This is because the quick release lever hits the grip on the camera. Therefore, I mount the whole assembly backwards on the ball head. ITs awkward.

What it boils down to is IQ. Just knowing that this lens is going to outperform anything else in my bag is plenty enough to justify being estatic about owning it. Its a wonderful gift and I cannot wait to get out in the field and use it.

Derrick

I have this lens and love it. You should definitely enjoy it. Great for sporting events and such.

I'm in your position as well. I told my wife about the F/4 Non-IS version and she is entertaining the idea. I've read that the F/4 is every bit as sharp as the F/2.8. This lens will almost complete my bag....

Congrats on a great aquisition.

-JD-

Congrats on the new glass. :mrgreen: So, were you like leaving hints all around like the Red Ryder BB gun all over the place so she definately got the hint? Or, she pick it out all on her own??

Congrats on the new glass. :mrgreen: So, were you like leaving hints all around like the Red Ryder BB gun all over the place so she definately got the hint? Or, she pick it out all on her own??

LOL, thats a great movie! Nope, no hints. She asked what I wanted, so I gave here a list...

Socks
mousepad
Canon 24-70 2.8
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS

I got socks, mousepad, and the 70-200. She also got me a B&W circ. polarizer. One of the newer f-pro mrc's. I hope to head out today with the lens and give a good run through its paces. It should be above zero....darn near a heatwave!

Nice piece of glass and your going to love it. Sharp through out its range.
Whats not to like about the build quality the thing is a tank. It's my goto mid range / portrait lens, nice bokeh. The zoom will smooth in a little time and I think in time you will come to realise your build quality worries are for naught.

example for portraits
TonkaBMedium.jpg

Tonka052D1Medium.jpg

TonkaAMedium.jpg

Congrat's on the gift. Dunno about Sigma's EX series build quality over Canon's L series. All the Sigma's I have used are major CRAP. Serious quality control issues. I had screws fall out from the inside! What's up with that? And that rubberized paint they use just falls off.
I beat the hell out of my L series lenses and they still work flawlessly. My 400mm is missing a chunk of aluminum off of the front rim from being dropped. Still tack sharp. Lost count of how many tumbles my 70-200 has taken. More than I care to remember. Bar none the best telephoto zoom lens on the market.

Congrat's on the gift. Dunno about Sigma's EX series build quality over Canon's L series. All the Sigma's I have used are major CRAP. Serious quality control issues. I had screws fall out from the inside! What's up with that? And that rubberized paint they use just falls off.
I beat the hell out of my L series lenses and they still work flawlessly. My 400mm is missing a chunk of aluminum off of the front rim from being dropped. Still tack sharp. Lost count of how many tumbles my 70-200 has taken. More than I care to remember. Bar none the best telephoto zoom lens on the market.

But there are others of us that have Sigmas that make us wonder how such things could possibly happen to others. I love my Sigma 70-200 2.8. Granted, I'd take the Canon IS L any day if offered, but it is far from a major crap lens. Great build quality on mine.

I am not saying its not built great, just all the hype on the internet, then got it hand. Well, compaired to my Sigma EX 50-500, its nothing great. Not saying I don't love the lens, perhaps I just had my expectations too high. Besides, if it takes fantastic photos (which it does) that is all I ask of it.

I own 2 Sigmas, and they are both fantastic lenses. BTW

Most reactions

Back