What would you upgrade to from old canon T2i and sigma lens?

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a canon t2i that has worked well forever but is dying, also a sigma 17-50 2.8 lens. Im eyeing a used t7i on marketplace for 500$. I was also never hugely impressed with the sigma, i dont know if it was a bad copy or too high of expectations, but aside from being faster, the glass seemed about the same as the kit lens in terms of sharpness and color. The person selling the t7i also has a canon 17-55 2.8 lens for sale for 500$. So considering that too... i just dont know if its going to be a notable difference.

For my use ive always been happy with the crop sensor, canon rebel series. I dont know ANYTHING about other cameras so thats what im looking into. T7i seems to be a worthwhile jump from the T2i.

Just looking for others who know much to weigh in.

FWIW I use it for work (building design) taking pictures of interiors and exteriors of projects, (but im not a professional photographer) and as a hobby when traveling.

Found this comparison.......

Advantages of the Canon EOS Rebel T2i:​

• Larger viewfinder image: Features a viewfinder with a higher magnification (0.54x vs 0.51x).
  • More heavily discounted: Has been available for much longer (launched in February 2010).

Arguments in favor of the Canon EOS Rebel T7i:​

• More detail: Has more megapixels (24 vs 17.9MP), which boosts linear resolution by 16%.
  • Better jpgs: Has a more modern image processing engine (DIGIC 7 vs DIGIC 4).
  • Better video: Provides higher movie framerates (1080/60p versus 1080/30p).
  • Better live-view autofocus: Features on-sensor phase-detection for more confident autofocus.
  • More flexible LCD: Has a swivel screen for odd-angle shots in portrait or landscape orientation.
  • Fewer buttons to press: Has a touchscreen to facilitate handling and shooting adjustments.
  • More selfie-friendly: Has an articulated screen that can be turned to be front-facing.
  • Faster burst: Shoots at higher frequency (6 vs 3.7 flaps/sec) to capture the decisive moment.
  • Longer lasting: Gets more shots (600 versus 440) out of a single battery charge.
  • Easier file upload: Has wifi built in for automatic backup or image transfer to the web.
  • Easier device pairing: Supports NFC for fast wireless image transfer over short distances.
  • Easier wireless transfer: Supports Bluetooth for image sharing without cables.
  • Faster buffer clearing: Has an SD card interface that supports the UHS-I standard.
  • More modern: Reflects 7 years of technical progress since the T2i launch.
FYI.....KEH has a T7i for $510.

Found this comparison.......

Advantages of the Canon EOS Rebel T2i:​

• Larger viewfinder image: Features a viewfinder with a higher magnification (0.54x vs 0.51x).
  • More heavily discounted: Has been available for much longer (launched in February 2010).

Arguments in favor of the Canon EOS Rebel T7i:​

• More detail: Has more megapixels (24 vs 17.9MP), which boosts linear resolution by 16%.
  • Better jpgs: Has a more modern image processing engine (DIGIC 7 vs DIGIC 4).
  • Better video: Provides higher movie framerates (1080/60p versus 1080/30p).
  • Better live-view autofocus: Features on-sensor phase-detection for more confident autofocus.
  • More flexible LCD: Has a swivel screen for odd-angle shots in portrait or landscape orientation.
  • Fewer buttons to press: Has a touchscreen to facilitate handling and shooting adjustments.
  • More selfie-friendly: Has an articulated screen that can be turned to be front-facing.
  • Faster burst: Shoots at higher frequency (6 vs 3.7 flaps/sec) to capture the decisive moment.
  • Longer lasting: Gets more shots (600 versus 440) out of a single battery charge.
  • Easier file upload: Has wifi built in for automatic backup or image transfer to the web.
  • Easier device pairing: Supports NFC for fast wireless image transfer over short distances.
  • Easier wireless transfer: Supports Bluetooth for image sharing without cables.
  • Faster buffer clearing: Has an SD card interface that supports the UHS-I standard.
  • More modern: Reflects 7 years of technical progress since the T2i launch.
FYI.....KEH has a T7i for $510.
Thanks!
whats KEH?

Also I just want a better idea of what my options are these days before I spend a grand on the newer t7i and the 17-55 lens.

I haven’t been following the camera tech world much in the last 10 years but It feels like the canon rebel series is a dying breed for some reason, I just don’t really know where things are shifting toward. I know mirrorless has become popular but that’s about it, is it replacing the rebel series? Is it just different?

The mid-tier crop sensor range has been spot on for my budget and performance needs in the past (77D, T7i, T8i, etc). What cameras sit in that range now? Has this changed or is the T8i still the way to go?

Have you made a decision?

If budget is a concern, I would stick with dSLRs rather than going mirrorless.
used mirrorless has not dropped to the level of used dSLRs, yet.

Just realize that if you do switch to mirrorless, at some point, there will be a conversion cost, as you replace what you have. This is why some say to bite the bullet and switch now, before you build up your kit.

To continue:
At present, Canon is the only dSLR game in town, for NEW cameras. Nikon has dropped out of the entry level dSLR market.
So if you want NEW, then you are limited to Canon. Excepting Nikon dSLRs still in the inventory pipe.
At school, we will have to buy used Nikon D5600s, to replace any cameras that need to be replaced.
No one knows how much longer Canon will make entry/consumer level dSLRs.

But, take care of your gear, and the camera should easily last you 10 years.

Have you made a decision?

If budget is a concern, I would stick with dSLRs rather than going mirrorless.
used mirrorless has not dropped to the level of used dSLRs, yet.

Just realize that if you do switch to mirrorless, at some point, there will be a conversion cost, as you replace what you have. This is why some say to bite the bullet and switch now, before you build up your kit.

To continue:
At present, Canon is the only dSLR game in town, for NEW cameras. Nikon has dropped out of the entry level dSLR market.
So if you want NEW, then you are limited to Canon. Excepting Nikon dSLRs still in the inventory pipe.
At school, we will have to buy used Nikon D5600s, to replace any cameras that need to be replaced.
No one knows how much longer Canon will make entry/consumer level dSLRs.

But, take care of your gear, and the camera should easily last you 10 years.

I haven't made a decision but after lots of research I've started getting my head around the mirrorless camera market, I think I'll likely make the jump. The main thing is, as another poster mentioned, the equivalent tier to the Rebel series (t2i, t3i, etc) is definitely the Canon R10, and you can step up to the R7 for weather sealing/higher MP sensor/etc from there. But the R10 is basically the mirrorless rebel.

the systems Im considering are:
Canon R10 (maybe R7?)
Sony A6400 (maybe 6600?)
Fuji X-S10 (maybe X-T5?)

Probably an X-S10 (or perhaps the X-S20 if it's released this summer), maybe its the bias of the reviews im reading/watching but I really dig the fuji system; camera options and lens options. But I'm also in no hurry so I've actually been getting out as much as I can with my T2i and lenses to work on my photography and try to hone in on the things I want out of my next system.

I haven't made a decision but after lots of research I've started getting my head around the mirrorless camera market, I think I'll likely make the jump. The main thing is, as another poster mentioned, the equivalent tier to the Rebel series (t2i, t3i, etc) is definitely the Canon R10, and you can step up to the R7 for weather sealing/higher MP sensor/etc from there. But the R10 is basically the mirrorless rebel.

the systems Im considering are:
Canon R10 (maybe R7?)
Sony A6400 (maybe 6600?)
Fuji X-S10 (maybe X-T5?)

Probably an X-S10 (or perhaps the X-S20 if it's released this summer), maybe its the bias of the reviews im reading/watching but I really dig the fuji system; camera options and lens options. But I'm also in no hurry so I've actually been getting out as much as I can with my T2i and lenses to work on my photography and try to hone in on the things I want out of my next system.

A warning for Canon.
Canon had shut the door on 3rd party lens makers making auto focus R lenses. So no less expensive (non-Canon) lens.
Canon has since cracked the door open, on "case by case basis." But, what does that REALLY mean?

One interpretation is, as long as the 3rd party lens does not directly compete with a Canon lens. IOW take revenue from Canon.
Example. You may not see a Sigma 70-200/2.8, as Canon wants ALL the 70-200/2.8 revenue.
So if you are budget constrained, like my school, you will have to buy the more expensive Canon lenses. As you won't have the less expensive Sigma and Tamron alternatives.

But, if the standard kit lenses work for you, you probably won't be look at 3rd party lenses.

Sony is an odd one.
I have had several Sony owners tell me that the UI "STINKS." But they love the camera. o_O
I suppose like with many things, you just get used to the UI, and then it does not bother you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back