Got my stuff for photography course next year, but I need your help...

fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Reaction score
Website
www.06photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys.

I have applied to do a diploma of photography course at TAFE next year. It will be a two year full time course.

I got all the info on my folio today, and I would like to ask for some help on what sort of pics... Here are the categories... I need one photo for each of these:

1. A character portrait of a family member or friend. (Is a character portrait just a normal portrait, or is there more to it?) I have done some christmasy photos of my cousin, would these work? (I can post a sample if it helps)

2. A landscape or architectural image. Self explanatory. Should be fine on that one.

3. An advertising image that would be used to sell a product... Am a bit stumped on what I could do with this one... I understand the question - but any ideas on what I could take a photo of?

4. An abstract design/composition. Would that be like some cool texture or something? Fluffy clouds, that sort of thing?

5. A self portrait/self image. Well thats easy. Find a good background and take a photo of me. Even though i'm not too photogenic.

I also need to include 5-10 photos of my choice.

1. I'm not sure whether a character portrait would be a portrait of a person "in the style of" or a portrait depicting the qualities and attributes of a person? Or still further, as you suggest, a picture in a genre (if Christmas is a genre?). I would guess that an artistic course would want you to tell a story about the qualities and attributes of your subject in a portrait, rather than stage a scene in a style.

2. Indeed, but still get the composition book out for that one!

3. A product photo would be the obvious answer. Create a fictional product, like "Oz lemonade" and then take a nice sharp appealing picture of a glass of lemonade on a white background perhaps? Lots of lovely freshly cut lemons and a fancy tall glass with lots of fizz. I'm crap at these kind of pictures - for some reason they leave me cold and I can't be bothered to get into the swing of it.

4. There was quite a good thread on here about what constitutes "abstract". I seem to recall that the general consensus may have been that it is something which may not be recognisable as it's original form, but instead concentrates on a "special" pattern or texture sub-set of the same.

5. Dark moody lighting, a downward angle with a long(ish) lens and B&W grainy film. Perhaps a pair of tights over the lens? Don't forget the self-timer :)

I would like to point out that I am quite simply rubbish at academic things, but hopefully an idea or two can be applied!

thanks for that...

I am thinking that considering this is a course, the photos wouldn't have to be technically great, you just need to be able to show you can use a camera, and that you have some aspect of, hmm.. talent i suppose you could say.

Ok...

IMG_9329_edit_small.JPG

DSCF0404_edit_small.JPG

IMG_1036editsmall.JPG
would something like this be right?

IMG_0965editsmall.JPG

5. I don't have any self portraits... yet. obviously I will have to take some.

fadingaway1986 said:
I am thinking that considering this is a course, the photos wouldn't have to be technically great, you just need to be able to show you can use a camera, and that you have some aspect of, hmm.. talent i suppose you could say.

Hmmm... I'm not sure how much you'll get away with neglecting technical aspects at this stage in your artistic career. I'd say although you want to be concentrating on content, it also important to get the basics right (or justify why they are wrong).

As for your "baby with tinsel" photo, does it actually say anything about character? The character of an individual could be expressed as their defining attributes - what defines that baby from every other one? Is it happy/sad/skinny/well-cared for/clever/crying/screaming/weeing. I don't get anything like that from your picture, so is it a *character portrait*. I don't get it - but that may just be me.

Take a look at this picture: http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_pages/0015-0407-0811-2551.html what do you see? OK it's pretty horrible, but there's plenty of character and I can see a photography/art teacher saying "yes, he understood". With your baby, I rather foresee a "no, he didn't convey character".

If Hertz is around, I'm sure he's got a more academic and qualified opinion, which it would be worth listening to.

Rob

ok. I get what you are saying. A character portrait is kinda like the photo telling a story about the person. So in the photo you showed, I see an angry man.

So, if my cousin were to be crying, that would be a character portrait because it is showing she is sad/unhappy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back