Gov. Furloughed (shutdown)

reedshots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many people may not be going to work on Monday? I may be one of them. I work for the Air Force aircraft maitinance personnel a technical enginer assiting with difficault maintinance related items.
Time off with out pay will suck, as I am trying to buy a house at the moment. Hope they have a plan soon!

It will have a huge impact on my local area. I could lose business over it. I get a lot of family portraits and destination weddings near the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. The park will shut down, and presumably, less people will visit the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. This will put a LOT of people out of work without the park, not just government workers.

Maybe I'll get lucky and not have to pay taxes next week.

It will happen in the eleventh hour. The people we elected may be dumb, but they're not stupid.

Since only 'non-essential' services will be shut down if it does happen, I don't think it will affect me much, if at all...

kundalini said:
The people we elected may be dumb, but they're not stupid.

Hrrumph....I wouldn't go so far as to say that...our Congress is filled with many of the biggest F'tards in the world.

It will happen in the eleventh hour. The people we elected may be dumb, but they're not stupid.
It has happened more than once before. The last time was for about 15 days if I recall correctly.
This couldn't come at a worse time for us. My wife is a Navy physician and will be required to work as she is considered essential personnel; meanwhile we are in the middle of buying a house and moving to another state and any hit to our cash flow will make thing really difficult. Oh well, we've been preparing for this but that doesn't mean it won't suck. Of course in the grand scheme of things the government is for all intents and purposes bankrupt so. . . . . .

kundalini said:

Hrrumph....I wouldn't go so far as to say that...our Congress is filled with many of the biggest F'tards in the world.
Ain't that the truth. Did you catch the congresswoman whining that she can't afford to not get paid during a shutdown (they have been pushing a bill that will cut congressional and presidential pay during a shutdown) because she lives "paycheck to paycheck"? Meanwhile she makes $175k a year (just from congress) and has a $3m home in Cali. These people kill me.

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, become politicians.

Actually the job of a teacher has become more political, than that of many politicians. In Canada, retired politicians end up teaching and their political experience helps them to survive.

skieur

kundalini said:

Ain't that the truth. Did you catch the congresswoman whining that she can't afford to not get paid during a shutdown (they have been pushing a bill that will cut congressional and presidential pay during a shutdown) because she lives "paycheck to paycheck"? Meanwhile she makes $175k a year (just from congress) and has a $3m home in Cali. These people kill me.
Paycheck to paycheck with $175K a year and a $3 million home ... that kills me. That woman must have a ****load of debt... I make maybe half what she does, don't even own a home, and still manage to pay my bills...

Most reactions

Back