What's new

Gracie Plays Soccer

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
14,457
Reaction score
3,329
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well... this is probably more of a proud Dad moment than anything, but I thought the pic was decent and felt like sharing. You can feel free to abuse the picture anyway. I'm not a Dad with a camera. I'm a photographer who happens to be a dad. Have at it. :)

Grace's%20First%20Soccer%20Game%20-%20021.jpg



The backstory here is my 7 year old has FINALLY found an activity and she's super excited, and WE'RE super excited about it just because she has something to do other than making my life hell and playing minecraft. lol

Hopefully I framed this well enough so you can tell which one is Grace..... :lol:
 
Looks like you captured the moment well. You should be very proud of your kid. It is so easy to tell that Grace is the one with bandaid on her knee. ;)
 
Cute pic, thank you so much for sharing.
I feel I can't really rip this apart, although you asked for it. But I must disappoint you, photographer-who-happens-to-be-a-dad. ;-)
 
Well, I wish I could throw this in the "JUST ANOTHER PROUD PARENT CRAPSHOT" box, but this is different. Most I just cruise by at 50mph, but this one made me stop and look. I don't know any of the players but it's still fun to view. Framed nicely, nice facial expressions, shows good action. Really nicely done, and you get the bonus of being the proud dad. It's a win /win
 
Its quite a nice shot but since you asked the b/g colors aren't great.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #6
Looks like you captured the moment well. You should be very proud of your kid. It is so easy to tell that Grace is the one with bandaid on her knee. ;)

Thanks! :) Though actually, Grace is the one in red with the pony tail, blue socks and black/neon yellow shoes... so maybe I didn't frame it that well. :)

Cute pic, thank you so much for sharing.
I feel I can't really rip this apart, although you asked for it. But I must disappoint you, photographer-who-happens-to-be-a-dad. ;-)

hahaha... well, ok... that's good, I guess! Thanks, Corinna! :)

Well, I wish I could throw this in the "JUST ANOTHER PROUD PARENT CRAPSHOT" box, but this is different. Most I just cruise by at 50mph, but this one made me stop and look. I don't know any of the players but it's still fun to view. Framed nicely, nice facial expressions, shows good action. Really nicely done, and you get the bonus of being the proud dad. It's a win /win

Well, awesome. Thank you. Very glad to hear!

Its quite a nice shot but since you asked the b/g colors aren't great.

The background colors? So you mean the trees and sky and such? Or something else?
 
Well, I wish I could throw this in the "JUST ANOTHER PROUD PARENT CRAPSHOT" box,


Why would you wish that?? I use my kids as stand in models all the time for portraiture/lighting practice. If anyone doesn't like them because I'm shooting my kids all the time, tough ;)

I could tell right away that the girl in red was the main focus point. Nice image, great to see girls play footy. Our 4 [almost 5] yr old will be a good candidate for sports. She's loves muck and a bit of rough and tumble, hard as nails.

Oh aye, we call 'soccer' football over there. Nobody likes using "soccer" in Europe.
 
Its quite a nice shot but since you asked the b/g colors aren't great.

The background colors? So you mean the trees and sky and such? Or something else?
I think DF referred to the yellow t-shirt – it steals some attention. That would be my only nit, but I don't really think it's a big deal. You captured some nice facial expressions here – it looks like most of the girls are just having fun, but one of them is ready to break someone's leg if that's what it would take to protect the goal.

And yeah, the name of this sport is football.
 
Its quite a nice shot but since you asked the b/g colors aren't great.

The background colors? So you mean the trees and sky and such? Or something else?
I think DF referred to the yellow t-shirt – it steals some attention. That would be my only nit, but I don't really think it's a big deal. You captured some nice facial expressions here – it looks like most of the girls are just having fun, but one of them is ready to break someone's leg if that's what it would take to protect the goal.

And yeah, the name of this sport is football.
I have to admit, I picked up on the yellow shirt to. It would be better if the person (or at least his shirt:lol:) wasn't there. He's a little distracting, but I think the photo is good enough that it's not a deal breaker.
 
"And yeah, the name of this sport is football."

Not in Pennsylvania:lol:
 
Nice composition, great focus, good exposure--better than most (probably ALL) of the sports photos I've done so far!
The guy in the background--well, it's youth soccer; you can only minimize background distractions as best you can; you aren't likely to get many shots if you try to only take the ones that have NO distractions in the background.

On another note, Gracie's shoelaces brought back a memory--when my youngest son played, I was coaching my older son's team, so he was a team with a different coach (who was awesome with 4-year-olds). The very first thing the coach did was ask every parent to restring their kids' shoes, using a red shoestring on the right foot and a blue shoestring on the left foot. Four year olds have NO concept of what to do when you are telling them to shoot with their left foot, but when you tell them "blue foot" they know JUST what to do! ;)

Oh aye, we call 'soccer' football over there. Nobody likes using "soccer" in Europe.

And yeah, the name of this sport is football.

"And yeah, the name of this sport is football."

Not in Pennsylvania:lol:

This is actually a really tough choice for people like me; Americans who are fanatic fans of both American football and what the rest of the world calls football, which we call soccer. And since lately, I've been shooting football/soccer, and WANT to start shooting American football, it's really quite a dilemma.

I prefer to call soccer "football" as the rest of the world does. But if I do that, what do I call American football? To keep calling it "American football"--in America--makes one sound a bit pretentious. But if I call "our" sport football, then what do I call the other sport? If I call it soccer, the whole rest of the world shakes their collective head at the term. If I call it football, it's quite confusing. I've tried "futbol" but that's really just a desperate attempt to separate the two.
It's a tough life. :D
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #12
I could tell right away that the girl in red was the main focus point. Nice image, great to see girls play footy. Our 4 [almost 5] yr old will be a good candidate for sports. She's loves muck and a bit of rough and tumble, hard as nails.

Oh aye, we call 'soccer' football over there. Nobody likes using "soccer" in Europe.

:lol: What can I say? I was raised in the US. :)

Glad you spotted her as the focus point. That was my main concern with the pic. It's great to see the girls get out and get muddy, especially young. Thanks for the comments!

Its quite a nice shot but since you asked the b/g colors aren't great.

The background colors? So you mean the trees and sky and such? Or something else?
I think DF referred to the yellow t-shirt – it steals some attention. That would be my only nit, but I don't really think it's a big deal. You captured some nice facial expressions here – it looks like most of the girls are just having fun, but one of them is ready to break someone's leg if that's what it would take to protect the goal.

And yeah, the name of this sport is football.

hahha... oh ok, that makes sense. Yeah, that was the coach. I noticed him too, but figured 1. It wasn't overwhelming, and 2. Well.. it's the coach! So not a huge deal.

I have to admit, I picked up on the yellow shirt to. It would be better if the person (or at least his shirt:lol:) wasn't there. He's a little distracting, but I think the photo is good enough that it's not a deal breaker.

heh. Thanks for the comments.

Nice composition, great focus, good exposure--better than most (probably ALL) of the sports photos I've done so far!
The guy in the background--well, it's youth soccer; you can only minimize background distractions as best you can; you aren't likely to get many shots if you try to only take the ones that have NO distractions in the background.

On another note, Gracie's shoelaces brought back a memory--when my youngest son played, I was coaching my older son's team, so he was a team with a different coach (who was awesome with 4-year-olds). The very first thing the coach did was ask every parent to restring their kids' shoes, using a red shoestring on the right foot and a blue shoestring on the left foot. Four year olds have NO concept of what to do when you are telling them to shoot with their left foot, but when you tell them "blue foot" they know JUST what to do! ;)

:lol: I love that story! What a great idea! :lol:

Thanks for the comments (And compliments). Much appreciated!
 
Nice shot... cute kids! You caught the moment well! :)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #14
Cute. It captures some of the essential parts of pee-wee soccer...the way the kids absolutely swarm to the ball...the way the little blonde girl in the back looks a wee bit unsure...the watchful official in yellow, the girl on the right with the big honking bandage on her knee...and there, in the distant background--a pair of parents,sitting in those ever-=present folding chairs!!! Yup...my kid's playing youth soccer this year too...you captured it well.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom