gradual color filter

voodoo_child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
dsc00839sn3.jpg

Anyone use one? What are the effects, is it similar to a graduated ND filter?
Under what circumstances would you use it?
I found a bunch of old filters in the garage but I couldnt find much info on this one

I have a similar one (but it's a square Cokin filter). They work great for putting some intensity into sunsets.

voodoo_child said:
dsc00839sn3.jpg

I found a bunch of old filters in the garage but I couldnt find much info on this one

I suppose you could say they are similar to a ND filter, but only affecting a section of the image. The main difference being that they are in color, and accordingly affect the section they are covering with a change in color balance. without having a great effect on the density as with an ND filter. They are more useful when using film as with digital you can do the same thing with Photoshop or similar software.

voodoo_child said:
dsc00839sn3.jpg

That graduated tobacco filter (looks like a Hoya) is especially applicable to get strong sunsets, voodoo kid.
Like Mike, I have (since about '83) a pretty extensive Cokin filter system with, a.o., square graduated filters. Blue, pink, tobacco, ND1, ND2.
But since going digital I've never used any of them anymore. Don't need them. I do it all in PP.
The only optical filters I still use are UV and polarizer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back