grain/noise/dust problem!!!

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Excuse the size, please!

I had emailed Mark while the forum was down. havent heard form him yet.

The question is about the grain. Is this my camera? unclean lens?
Any help would be valuable!

Thanks in advance!!!

/edit - Sorry about the red x.

Here is the link: http://public.fotki.com/zestfulpuma/misc/random_shots/

Images 3 and 4. You should click on Get Original Uploaded Photo to see what I am talking about.

It is the URL right now. Can you see it?

ksmattfish said:
What film are you using?

I use a 10D. This noise was not there until a few days ago!!

PLUS, I had not cleaned my lens since I bought it about two months ago. Do you think that would be the reason?

Check the EXIF settings, you've got the ISO at 1600.

You bombed the bull's eye mrsid99 :), I just checked the info of one of the images on the LCD and it said ISO is 1600. How did you know that? and how do we fix this?

I know how to lower it, but do we have to change the ISO frequently? Or is there a perm number?

danalec99 said:
You bombed the bull's eye mrsid99 :), I just checked the info of one of the images on the LCD and it said ISO is 1600. How did you know that? and how do we fix this?

It just looked like noise so I guessed that the ISO might be high and checking the EXIF confirmed it.
To set the ISO press the Drive-ISO button on the top right of the camera (middle one of the three) and adjust the ISO with the wheel on the back, when it's where you want it (shown in the top LCD) press the Drive-ISO button again and you're ready to shoot.
Have fun!

I'm confused with ISO and shutter speed now!!!

danalec99 said:
I know how to lower it, but do we have to change the ISO frequently? Or is there a perm number?

The lower the ISO number the less "grain" (noise) and consequently better quality but it also means lower sensitivity.
Higher ISO more grain but higher sensitivity so typically you use higher numbers in low light conditions to keep the shutter speed up. Particularly when the camera is handheld so long exposures can't be used.
There's no permanent number, just the optimum for the conditions. I normally leave mine on ISO 100 but change it as needed.

mrsid99 said:
danalec99 said:

The lower the ISO number the less "grain" (noise) and consequently better quality but it also means lower sensitivity.
Higher ISO more grain but higher sensitivity so typically you use higher numbers in low light conditions to keep the shutter speed up. Particularly when the camera is handheld so long exposures can't be used.
There's no permanent number, just the optimum for the conditions. I normally leave mine on ISO 100 but change it as needed.

Okay, for the following settings when do we use a higher or lower ISO?

1. Outdoor - day
2. Outdoor - low light
3. Action/motion/panning shots
4. Portraits

Don't know who on earth change the ISO on my camera. It was fine till last week!! I was thoroghly depressed a lil while ago. I was wondering if it was the camera!!!

Thanks mrsid99. Thanks a million! :)

Most reactions

Back