grainy pictures

Jakefreese

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got back 5 rolls of film from developing and all there were 4 rolls of kodak gold 400iso and one roll of 400bw. All the color film come back very grainy. the bw come back looking good, but all the color not so. I thought it was all underexposed but the film is a few years old. It had been stored in the house but not in the fridge or freezer. The BW film was not as old as the color. I would post the pics but it will not let me yet!

Color dyes in the film degrade quickly. Optimum time is the expiry date.
Graininess can alo be caused by over/under exposure.

If you had a real B&W film, then it has no dyes ... just silver emulsion, so it would survive longer.

the bw film I have is the bw400cn c41 kodak film. Well I guess I will trash the rest of that old film. I bought some film at walmart this weekend, hopefully it is fresh.

What I got this weekend is showing an develop by date of 9/2012

Ah ... Kodak 400CN is a dye based B&W film (though all films have silver).

Look at the negatives ... it will provide more info than looking at the prints.

I have not gotten the negatives back yet, I just have the pics on snapfish. I should have them back sometime next week. After my prepaid runs out with them I am going to Arlington camera to have it done $2 less a roll!

it would help to see the images, but color does not have as much exposure range and they could be underexposed which as you mentioned would increase the grain pattern , along with the age and how the film has been stored.

ok, I have gone through the pics and it looks like all the ones that are grainy are the ones that are definately under exposed, bad lighting, a few that I was trying to get the sunset and did not come out right. There is one roll that everything looked like it had a blue filter on it. I guess that is from the red dye in the film degrading. The film had been stored inside the house the whole time 65-85 deg F I also had one roll that has a line through about the middle of every picture also, of course there are a couple shots I like out of that roll I hope I can photoshop it out.

I need to get the pics uploaded to one of the hosting places then I will put them up

Most reactions

Back