grammar pet peeve

robitussin217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see this with such frequency I had to say something. Within the past 2 or 3 years, I have seen the complete switching of the words "then" and "than."

It's not a typo. It is a result of many (possibly most) people not having a clue as to when it is appropriate to use "then" and "than."

What baffles me is the switching of the words. So, it's not just the fact that they are often pronounced the same. Many times, I see someone using both the words, spelling them correctly, but consistently using them the opposite way of how they should. How did this happen?

So, if anyone wants to argue the point, here it is. "Then" indicates time or order. This happened then that happened after.

"Than" indicates a comparison. This costs more than that.

Spread the word!

If you haven't noticed, American society has been on the decline for some time. There is a reason other nations laugh at us, and I don't blame them. Of course the internet is at the forefront of that slippery slope so we are able to witness history in the making. Just be grateful the stupid bug isn't contagious. Stupidity is much more prevalent than intelligence, I witness it every day on the net, at my job, etc.

Pretty soon we will all be speaking Chinese so "then" and "than" won't matter. Just kidding... sort of...

This is an effin internet forum, not English class. Get over yourself. Not everyone speaks English as a first language. Do you rant about people that txt this way 2?

You should probably come down off your high horse before you fall or get knocked off...

My pet peeves:
1. I seen .....
2. further vs farther
3. effect vs affect
4. less vs fewer

list keeps going... I am not perfect though.. My first language isnt English and I make a lot of mistakes!

This is an effin internet forum, not English class. Get over yourself. Not everyone speaks English as a first language. Do you rant about people that txt this way 2?

You should probably come down off your high horse before you fall or get knocked off...

I understand your point, but I also feel like too many people use that as an excuse. If you live in a country that speaks a language other than your native language, it's your responsibility to learn that language well enough to be understood. This includes knowing when to use certain words over others. I deal with Mexicans and Vietnamese people on a daily basis. Many of them do not speak english well, and become frustrated or offended if someone does not understand the gibberish spewing out of their mouths... As if it's their/my fault...

Welcome to America, now speak english!

If you live in a country that speaks a language other than your native language, it's your responsibility to learn that language...

Well... common. That's an entirely different concern. I have patience for someone learning the language.

It's those who are products of our schools that amaze me.

-Pete

If you live in a country that speaks a language other than your native language, it's your responsibility to learn that language...

Well... common. That's an entirely different concern. I have patience for someone learning the language.

-Pete

Agreed and I try to check people's location before getting pissed :lol:

At the same time, I can't get too worried about it. The same people whose language skills you are complaining about will never be any kind of competition since they never will be able to write a contract. :D

Yup! It is so hard for a grown up to learn a new language.

-Pete

I understand your point, but I also feel like too many people use that as an excuse. If you live in a country that speaks a language other than your native language, it's your responsibility to learn that language well enough to be understood. This includes knowing when to use certain words over others. I deal with Mexicans and Vietnamese people on a daily basis. Many of them do not speak english well, and become frustrated or offended if someone does not understand the gibberish spewing out of their mouths... As if it's their/my fault...

Welcome to America, now speak english!

I totally agree, but it is what it is. The two things in school I sucked at, math and English, are the two things that I make my living on today. I don't want to obsess over how people of all flavors from all over the world communicate on an internet forum.

If we were in a geographically localized situation it might be different. If we were performing some sort of task as an organized group it would absolutely be different.

Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

My pet peeve are people like you... If you get what we are talking about, and it isn't formal, who gives a ****.

Edit: English is my first language, and I don't give a hoot if I mess up, this is the internetz :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back