Grand Daughter

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to make a nice print for my ex-daughter-in-law of my grand daughter. Here's what I come up with so far.
500-j4290.jpg

Any suggestions as to what I could do to make this better? (tone, contrast etc.?)

I agree with Old Navy in sharpening the eyes but I would brighten them a bit too with dodging, and soften the focus on the freckles, particularly the dark one on her nose.

skieur

I agree with Old Navy in sharpening the eyes but I would brighten them a bit too with dodging, and soften the focus on the freckles, particularly the dark one on her nose.

skieur
erm...no...just no.

To put it a different way, a portrait photographer is not taking a photo of zits, moles, or freckles. He\She is taking a photo of a person and the viewer's attention should be drawn to the eyes and not distracted by freckles. This does not mean that the freckles are eliminated in Photoshop. It just means that they are visually de-emphasized through soft focus or other techniques. Basic technique.

skieur

Lighten and increase contrast in the face.
It is way too flat and dull to print well now.

PS: and if you allowed editing, we could demonstrate

Lighten and increase contrast in the face.
It is way too flat and dull to print well now.

PS: and if you allowed editing, we could demonstrate

Sure, go ahead, I could use the help this time around.

We were talking last night, and I've always noticed her eyes are beautiful, and in the soft light her freckles show, but not so harsh as they do in the outdoor shot- I'd reshoot, but we're not about the inside of buildings, and we're sending her back in a couple days... I'm not objective at all :).

To put it a different way, a portrait photographer is not taking a photo of zits, moles, or freckles. He\She is taking a photo of a person and the viewer's attention should be drawn to the eyes and not distracted by freckles. This does not mean that the freckles are eliminated in Photoshop. It just means that they are visually de-emphasized through soft focus or other techniques. Basic technique.

skieur
That depends on what kind of portrait you are approaching, tons of photographers focus on zits, moles, or freckles, because they are part of the person that people can instantly recognize. The eyes aren't the only interesting part about a face, although they are important to draw the viewers' attention because they what provoke day to day interaction between people. But after viewers see the eyes they usually want to explore the face.

Traveler's edit had a pinkish red skin tone that did not quite fit in my opinion, but then I have some Irish blood and realize that girls with freckles often have very pale skin colouring. What I did in very simple terms was take the red out, thereby de-emphasizing the freckles and bringing more attention to her blue eyes.

skieur

grandaughter_ed.jpg

That depends on what kind of portrait you are approaching, tons of photographers focus on zits, moles, or freckles, because they are part of the person that people can instantly recognize. The eyes aren't the only interesting part about a face, although they are important to draw the viewers' attention because they what provoke day to day interaction between people. But after viewers see the eyes they usually want to explore the face.

No it doesn't, if you are really serious about doing the best possible work in portraiture. If you really check the books on the subject, you will find that they deal with how to NOT focus on zits, moles, and freckles. Any portrait subject does NOT wish to have her visual attention or that of a viewer drawn to a mole, zit, or freckles. It is downright embarassing from their point of view, and I certainly do not disagree. You may want to explore the zits on a subjects face perhaps but that is certainly NOT what any subject wants.

skieur

No it doesn't, if you are really serious about doing the best possible work in portraiture. If you really check the books on the subject, you will find that they deal with how to NOT focus on zits, moles, and freckles. Any portrait subject does NOT wish to have her visual attention or that of a viewer drawn to a mole, zit, or freckles. It is downright embarassing from their point of view, and I certainly do not disagree. You may want to explore the zits on a subjects face perhaps but that is certainly NOT what any subject wants.

skieur
Doesn't what?

There are photographers who aren't just interest in smooth plastic and sparkling eyes. Best work in portraiture doesn't concern itself with that either.

You're talking about "beauty" and "commercial" portraiture photography. And that's that.

Doesn't what?

There are photographers who aren't just interest in smooth plastic and sparkling eyes. Best work in portraiture doesn't concern itself with that either.

You're talking about "beauty" and "commercial" portraiture photography. And that's that.

Yes, I am sure that there are some starving pros out there who specialize in unflattering portraits of their subjects but I am not one of them and to belabour what should be obvious, best work in portraiture does concern flattering the subject.

skieur

Most reactions

Back