Grants...

Boop's_passion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Someone told me that the government hands out grants for women that are starting out businesses. Being a woman trying to start a photography business I am very curious to see if this is true, I have been searching on the internet but the only thing I can find is a place that will send a cd about it, but you have to pay $90 for it. I am afraid I am being taken. So, please any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you very much Alison. I did end up finding that. Thank you very much. This place is so full of knowledge it's unreal. I could be here all day long. :) Thanks again.

you are correct. There are literally millions of dollars available to small businesses (and grad students, but that's for a different thread). Most of the money is in venture capital, and nothing personal, but VC folks aren't going to be interested in a photography company unless there is some military connection that will make them millions in return.

Alison is right, check out the SBA. Also, look at SCORE, I forget what the acronym stands for, but they are retired entreps who help out newbies.

There is also something called an 8(a) company, which is a woman-owned business. But this is primarily for companies trying to get contracts with the government. I know this probably doesn't pertain to you, but don't ignore the gov if you are still trying to think of a twist to your company. We have 2 photogs here at NASA Headquarters, and I'm sure each Center has their own as well. I believe that they work for a company called SAIC, but there is no reason you couldn't try to get a contract with the government to provide photography for the head of an agency as they hang out on Capitol Hill, or at a reception at a conference somewhere in the world. Our main photog goes to Russia for every launch of Astronauts to the International Space Station.

If you ARE actually interested in gov work, every agency is required by law to have an Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization. You should look at them for help.

Hope that helps.

Jocose, yes that was very helpful. :) I have never thought about anything like that, that would be awesome to take photo's for the gov. thank you so much again :)

no probs.

I am assuming that you want to do a wedding/portrait type company, but I think that people overlook many other photography opportunities. There's also large companies...think about any place that puts thier mucky-mucks in positions where they want the world to see them.

I think it would be cool to start a company that did something like that.

Also, no digs on our photogs, but they aren't taking arty pics...I mean they know what they are doing, but it's mostly make sure the light is right and you have a good angle, you know?

I can't believe it's a huge startup.

jocose said:
no probs.

I am assuming that you want to do a wedding/portrait type company, but I think that people overlook many other photography opportunities. There's also large companies...think about any place that puts thier mucky-mucks in positions where they want the world to see them.

I think it would be cool to start a company that did something like that.

Also, no digs on our photogs, but they aren't taking arty pics...I mean they know what they are doing, but it's mostly make sure the light is right and you have a good angle, you know?

I can't believe it's a huge startup.

Yeah, something along that lines. It would be neat to do gov. work and keep on doing what I am doing now. (which is doing friends weddings for some extra spending cash) I really do appeciate all the ideas. One person could not possibly have all the answers and knowledge so that is greatly appeciated :) Thanks again

Boop's_passion said:
Yeah, something along that lines. It would be neat to do gov. work and keep on doing what I am doing now. (which is doing friends weddings for some extra spending cash) I really do appeciate all the ideas. One person could not possibly have all the answers and knowledge so that is greatly appeciated :) Thanks again

That's what it's all about!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back