Great article about shooting in low light

oh right. you know, the message was so obvious yet i still missed it. lemme borrow your credit card for just a moment...you'll get it back. i promise! :)

I wonder if this means he also shoots in JPEG mode?

... and shooting in JPEG mode simply outsources your post-processing :p

My sentiments as well.
The camera makes the changes, maybe he is not aware of that though...
Maybe that is why he has come to like digital so much.

Although his 50's & 60's photos are amazing. 'The right place at the right time'

Harry Benson is a PHOTO JOURNALIST so I can see the points he makes with regard to shooting what is there in a scene.

I don’t take photographs for fun. If I’m going to photograph a dog I want to do it with a good camera. I’m not playing around when I go out. It’s dead serious.

why even bother then? if you dont find something fun then whats the point? i have never heard of the guy, and he may be a decent photographer, but he comes across super arrogant to basically say anything less than a 1d3 is junk. reads more like a canon advertisement than a how to.

i didn't really find the article all that interesting, and as one commenter on the article noted, he doesn't teach you "how to take better low-light photos".

Probably the fact that the newspapers pay him quite a lot of money for his photos ;) Not everyone (infact very very few) works at the job they love to do and not everyone likes what they are talented in. So I don't mind that he only shoots for work at all

Also the thread title is somewhat missleading - its more an interview with a journalist which happens to make mention of some lowlight shooting tips. It is not a full blown article and stripped down for the journal its very light weight and 5 mins and google and you can find a lot more info --- from using the camera and lens (even lower end gear) more effectivly as well as how to control and use flash in such situations for more lighting. Heck even going into lighting the scene with a full strobist setup.

Probably the fact that the newspapers pay him quite a lot of money for his photos ;) Not everyone (infact very very few) works at the job they love to do and not everyone likes what they are talented in. So I don't mind that he only shoots for work at all

yea, but people like myself try and get a job doing what they enjoy doing with the added perk of now getting paid for it. i loved tinkering with computers so i went into IT. i guess im still lucky because i still enjoy doing it at work for money and at home for my own enjoyment.

i guess i just find it hard to believe that after so many years of him not finding it fun...why hasnt he found something else?

Also the thread title is somewhat missleading - its more an interview with a journalist which happens to make mention of some lowlight shooting tips. It is not a full blown article and stripped down for the journal its very light weight and 5 mins and google and you can find a lot more info --- from using the camera and lens (even lower end gear) more effectivly as well as how to control and use flash in such situations for more lighting. Heck even going into lighting the scene with a full strobist setup.

yea, i realized that once i finished the article that it was indeed an article and not a how to as implied. they need to fix the title of the story imo. :)

Most reactions

Back