Great Food Shots

Pink Lady?? This apparently hasn't been around all that long, 10 or so years I read. Some really good photos and some overedited (to me, when I notice the editing more than the photo). edit - I did see better copies elsewhere.

And it's the usual same ol' to photographers about getting 'prestige' or 'opportunities'. And a sob story about the cost of running a competition being high... Not sure how/why this would be considered to be the world's most important food photography awards.

Who does these anyway? I keep looking and can't find out... is it a business? (likely) a nonprofit? (doubtful). Whoever runs this is good at promoting but not exactly at full disclosure. Someone can become a 'member' for 50 British pounds a year so somebody's making money from this.

Pink Lady?? This apparently hasn't been around all that long, 10 or so years I read. Some really good photos and some overedited (to me, when I notice the editing more than the photo). edit - I did see better copies elsewhere.

And it's the usual same ol' to photographers about getting 'prestige' or 'opportunities'. And a sob story about the cost of running a competition being high... Not sure how/why this would be considered to be the world's most important food photography awards.

Who does these anyway? I keep looking and can't find out... is it a business? (likely) a nonprofit? (doubtful). Whoever runs this is good at promoting but not exactly at full disclosure. Someone can become a 'member' for 50 British pounds a year so somebody's making money from this.
That old Marxist gem(Groucho)seems appropriate here:

“I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”

This sent me down a rabbit hole! lol Finally found the woman who's listed as the founder/director of The Food Awards Company.

Her background seems to be in the food industry as a marketer. Her one page website doesn't seem to specify what exactly she's done.

The more I looked, her background seems to be in journalism, having worked editing a magazine. But she seems to have no background particularly in photography, or anything like design, art, etc. Or in cooking or food, other than doing PR for food related companies in the UK.

How did she set up this competition and get people to pay 'memberships' to enter her contest?? Maybe she's known in the UK? I don't get it...

Most reactions

Back