Weddings on Film

Film keeps 'coming back'... my fridge is used to sharing food storage space with film! It is more costly than it used to be but easy enough to have negs scanned so you can have digital copies, best of both worlds maybe.

And now that I looked, yikes it has gone up quite a bit! But so has everything since the pandemic. Or sized/package smaller to make it not so costly.

But hey, they still make 828 film. And 127. My vintage cameras will like that once in awhile.

If I was going to charge for a film shoot, the cost of film would be included.

It's a very personal choice for couples. Those into photography want that "look" for at least part of their weddings. Most others just want files to share and a small book for the parents. It really only works if the old film infrastructure of pro labs/printers remains intact locally.

There's a successful wedding pro on here that shoots both film and digital, and uses a custom emulation to mimic the digital to match the film. Having started with film in late 60's the only real advantage I saw in film vs digital, was the ability of the film to more accurately render micro transition on a print, but when you convert a negative to digital you lose that advantage. So much so that I doubt an untrained eye would be able to tell the difference between an image shot on film, converted to digital and printed vs a digital with a good film emulation print.

Last edited:
Good labs still deliver prints from film whose appeal isn't lost on customers. These aren't scanned but printed old school. It costs, sure, but some couples will pop for a few large prints from film for the novelty and look they don't get from digital. As usual, it's a matter of taste and budget.

Yep, that's a "thing" here in St. Lou. We have a few photogs that shoot weds on film but all we do is scan the film for them. There is one lab (online/mail in only) left here that uses a digital enlarger for RA-4 prints but the film will still need to be scanned.

When I was shooting a lot of weddings, I had couples that insisted on film. And a few of them requested B/W film.

Julie #2.jpg

I'm not a pro but I do know a few things that raise the cost. You have to raise the price to cover film, Have to have the film developed and printed in a lab as opposed to fixing the image on your computer and printing on your own printer. Then not all that much but shipping the undeveloped roll off and having them returned And I suspect someone else can come up with more. On top of that you get a bad shot with digital you see it right away and delete it equals no lost frames on the film. Your being paid to take picture's if they decide what you have to take them with, price goes up! Who knows, maybe they want you to use Nikon equipment and all you have is Canon! So do you go out and buy Nikon equipment to do one shoot or do you write them off? Maybe you should take the job and show up with your Kodak Instamatic! :)

I'm not a pro but I do know a few things that raise the cost. You have to raise the price to cover film, Have to have the film developed and printed in a lab as opposed to fixing the image on your computer and printing on your own printer. Then not all that much but shipping the undeveloped roll off and having them returned And I suspect someone else can come up with more. On top of that you get a bad shot with digital you see it right away and delete it equals no lost frames on the film. Your being paid to take picture's if they decide what you have to take them with, price goes up! Who knows, maybe they want you to use Nikon equipment and all you have is Canon! So do you go out and buy Nikon equipment to do one shoot or do you write them off? Maybe you should take the job and show up with your Kodak Instamatic! :)
Most couples already have a sense of the (dis)economies of film if they ask. It's a look they're after that contributes to the occasion...Pass the Tri-X and TMY-2!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back