JessenBlog0011.jpg

JessenBlog0012.jpg

JessenBlog0013.jpg

JessenBlog0015.jpg

JessenBlog0016.jpg

JessenBlog0017.jpg

JessenBlog0018.jpg

Jessen0338.jpg

I am no where near your level of taking pictures at all but from reading other stuff on here I have a question for you?? On two of the shots the top of the head is cut off is that okay to do or does it just depend on the client or what the shot will allow at the time?

I am no where near your level of taking pictures at all but from reading other stuff on here I have a question for you?? On two of the shots the top of the head is cut off is that okay to do or does it just depend on the client or what the shot will allow at the time?

Ok, your goal is not to chop heads off. :) That is in a perfect world.

Here is two different answers for you:

1. Sometimes I do this totally on purpose. My background is photojournalism, so sometimes it's just me trying to focus on an emotion.

2. The second answer is much like the first. Because of my photojournalism background, I don't set up most of what you see. It just happens. And while I try to keep my camera glued to my eyeball, it's a long day. Normally between 5-8 hours, so needless to say, sometimes I lower my camera, only to see a wicked moment that happens for a nano second. I have to act super fast to get the shot. Sometimes there is no time to get the composion, light, or anything else right. I'm going for that "moment". If I wait, or try to dial in, I'll miss it, so I just shoot. :)

I hope that makes sense!

But to completely answer your question, clients univerally love "moments". They wouldn't care it I cut them off at their eyeballs as long as they can relive the moment. :)

So... my background is "fine art", mostly urban/industrial landscapes, architectural, etc..., with some studio portraiture included. My C&C is informed from that point of view in terms how I mostly look at the exposure/composition rather than the moments/emotion. Maybe that's why I'm lousy at event photography and street photography and should probably work on it more. Event photography and I... well... we just don't get along... back in the days of film, I decided that I'd never shoot another wedding ever again in my life. So far, I've held true to that decision in spite of family/friends asking me to shoot their weddings.

That said:

1. It might be my monitor, but the white balance feels a little bit cool and the horizon isn't level. I kind of wish that there was some negative space on the left side of the frame because the arrow is pointing in that direction.

2. No beef with this one! I REALLY like it because of how tastefully simple the dress is and how basic and effective the composition is. The tilted camera technique actually works here (I can't believe I just said that!) as it gives a slightly diagonal line from the upper left to lower right which accentuates how the dress flares out at the bottom. The exposure is SO well done considering how tricky it is to shoot a white subject against a bright backlit background! Very nice work on this one!

3. Tilted camera doesn't work as well for me on this one and I'm distracted by the tree behind his head. I LOVE the veil sweeping out to the left side of the frame and the way that it echoes and blends in with the clouds above it! Exposure here, nailed as usual with great skin tones.

4. Hotspots on their faces are a little distracting, but being outdoors in direct sunlight makes that difficult to avoid. The thing that I notice first about this photo, though is that there is a triangle here. The groom makes a vertical line, the bottom of the frame makes a horizontal line. And the diagonal is a line from the top of his head, to her head, and then on down her left arm. Because the diagonal falls off to the right of the frame, compositionally, it would have been nice to have more negative space off to that side. Plus her eyes are cast in that direction further increasing the desire for some negative space for her to be gazing off into. Other than the previously mentioned, unavoidable hotspots, the exposure is great!

5. Another great moment! He looks so happy and relaxed! The tree and the top of the head over his right shoulder could have been blurred out with a shallower depth of field and the flash is causing fairly flat lighting on his face and creating some shine, but the catchlight is part of what makes his expression look so happy! Plus, the flash was probably needed for fill and to stop his arm.

6. This, I LOVE! I have no nit to pick with this shot whatsoever. Gorgeous sky, the way the lean of her body echoes the lean of the tree-trunk, the lines of the fence leading off into the distance... FABULOUS!

7. Nice photo collage!

8. Compositionally, head chopped off at the top of the frame, there's the workings of a triangle there that could have been emphasized if framed differently... yada-yada-yada... WHO CARES WHEN YOU HAVE A CATCHLIGHT LIKE THAT?! WOW!!

9. You know what I'm going to say about vignetting so I won't... I love this photo, though. I just wish the focus on their faces was sharper. But what a sweet, sweet capture!

10. This... may be my favorite! The curiosity of a child, a great exposure in a tricky lighting situation, wonderful colors, and a great composition with the curve of her body and the curve of the light pattern on floor matching the curve of the light ball and those curves being contrasted against the lines on the brick patio floor. Great photograph!

How cool are you to spend such time helping me out. Again, I appreciate it!

1. A quick shot. :)

2. Many times there is no cool way to do a dress. Again, a grab.

3. A quicky, but I agree with the crit!

4. Over my head. :) I wish I had the time to think about it, but it was quick, quick, and quicker. You are right though.

5. No flash on this....just a quick and dirty sunny 16. Another "moment".

8. Catchlight is in post...I loved the photo and amped it. The original is flat. I'm glad it looks real though!

9. No vignette on this. Hood gear. :) I agree, I wish it were sharper, or that I would have had the correct lens. Total capture on this. I dealt with the hand I had.

10. Yeah isn't that cool? This little kid just makes my day by looking into the disco ball. I was dialing in just wishing to myself, "keep doing that!" Luckily I got the shot off before she wandered off to do different stuff.

Thanks again. I mean that. You are wonderful at crit and I really appreciate it!

You're very welcome! Giving C&C on TPF is GREAT practice for the photography class I help teach. Plus, photography and talking about photography are what I love!

love them all, especially the last three

WOW...these are great! The photo of the kiss on the fence, and the last 3 of the kids are fantastic in every way.

You're very welcome! Giving C&C on TPF is GREAT practice for the photography class I help teach. Plus, photography and talking about photography are what I love!

I hear ya. I do seminars for local PPA affiliates from time to time, and you can never quit learning. I too enjoy talking about the technical portions of photography.

Not sure if it's just me, but some of the pictures look a little soft.. too much processing... ?? my favorite is probably number eight... :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back