Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mattis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I'm Mathias from Germany, and since it is a slow day at work I decided to register here.

I started with photography in late 2012. I always wanted to do something art related, but since my artistic skills never evolved past stick figures I figured that I'd give photography a go. And so far it has worked out pretty well for me and I enjoy it a lot!
My first camera was a Nikon D3200 which I bought with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. It served me well as a starting point and I got a few lenses for it, but as an entry level camera it felt a little limiting after about a year. I was still happy with the image quality, it just wasn't big enough for my huge man-hands and I was interested in the older lenses that need the internal AF motor in the camera.
So in December 2013 I got a D7000 and I've been happy with it ever since.
Soon after that I bought my first bigger lens, a roughly 20 years old Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 which I still love dearly.

Tiger by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

As for things that I like to shoot, I like to experiment a lot.
For example, I tried my hands on high speed drop photography:

Drops by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

Drop shot by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

A little hard to get into, but very rewarding.

And as of late I went to different zoos a lot, I've always been kind of an animal freak so "shooting" critters is a lot of fun for me as well.
For this I also recently got an older Sigma 300mm f/4 which is just awesome:

Tiger by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

Anyway! This forum seems to be pretty active, so I'm sure I'll have some fun here.

Take care and thanks for reading!
Mathias

Welcome Matthias. Some very nice shots to start off with. Love the droplets shots!

Welcome Matthias. Some very nice shots to start off with. Love the droplets shots!

Thanks a lot! Those drop shots are fun to make, they just need a lot of equipment and preparation so I didn't do those in quite a while because I didn't have the time.
I'd highly recommend looking into it if you are interested though. The possibilities are pretty much endless with those. I mean, I just used one valve, the "drop pros" use three to five valves, compressed air, pellet rifles... It's crazy what you can do with that.

Edit: I really like that this forum shows similar threads at the bottom! It's a nice demonstration how unoriginal my thread title is ;D

Welcome to the forum Mathias...

Most reactions

Back