Greetings from San Diego, CA. and a question for you all

Mollie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
I have been a photography junky for a long time. About 15 yrs. ago I became ill and gave all my equipment away. I know-stupid move but I was really depressed. Well things have improved to the point where I think I am able to get back to doing something I love - photography. I like taking landscape and wildlife shots. I am also interested in macro photos of flowers etc. I would also like to take portraits of animals especially dogs and an occasional human when necessary. I would like to know what gear you would select if you wanted to use a DSLR camera like the Canon EOS 60D? My short term goal is to have fun. My long term goal is to have fun, and to learn and become proficient enough to evolve my hobby into something that I still really enjoy and that I can make a bit of money at as well. I have a budget of $2800. I would really appreciate your opinions on what equipment you would purchase if you were starting with nothing and you had my photography goals in mind. I realize that I don't have a lot of money but I have to start somewhere, right!?!
Thanks for your time and suggestions. I look forward to your advice.
Sincerely,
Mollie :hail:

I think that it is great that you are going to get back into it. I had to save up to buy my camera which is a Nikon D3100. The fact that you have $2800 to spend on camera and gear I think is awesome. It beats nothing. I had a Kodak Easy Share camera before I got my Nikon. I looked at different cameras it seemed for years. I chose the Nikon because out of the cameras I had to pick from I was the most familiar with the Nikon brand. It was the first camera that I actually held and tinkered with in the store before I purchased. I would suggest go to your local Best Buy and look at the different cameras and gear to go with the camera you pick. Search online for customer reviews on different sites. Good luck!!

I ALWAYS try to buy expensive lenses USED. KEH.com is one good place. On Macro lenses--ALWAYS USED!!!!! people buy em, used em twice, three times, then shelve them, then sell em later. I would buy the Tokina ATX 100mm macro lens. I would buy a anon 4320 EX flash, and a ttl remote connecting cord from flashzebra.com. I would buy the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom lens. The Canon 60D is a fine camera. Start with the 60D, the 430EX flash and the ttl remote connecting cord, and the 100mm macro lens. THAT would be a great setup to get started with!

Hi Derrel,
Thanks for responding to my post. I appreciate your suggestions.:thumbup::thumbup: I will be researching your suggested lenses especially as I am not familiar with any of the ones you mentioned. I do have a question for you. What criteria do you use to determine the quality/reliability etc. of a used lens? It seems like it would be a great way to save money but how do you know that you are getting a fully functional lens? I am really anxious to hear what you have done in order to assure yourself that when you buy a "used" lens you are getting a lens worth buying. Thanks again for your reply and your suggestions. I appreciate the time you took/are taking to help a "noob"!:)

Thanks for the encouragement. I am so excited that I am stuck looking and looking and looking at cameras and lenses, and reviews, and.... oh well you get the idea. Hope to see/hear from you in the future. Have FUN!

Most reactions

Back