What's new

Hello from the Pacific Northwest

erictpeterson

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 13, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
Location
Portland, OR
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a long-time "family moment" digital photographer but new to actually paying attention to the photos I take (versus just capturing the moment before it slips away.) With my retirement looming I have started investing more in gear and spending a lot more time taking photos. I'm a computer programmer by background and so I have built out a little site to share my photos here:

etp.hotography

I spend a lot of time photographing cars but would like to get more into portraits and capturing people and emotions so I would be curious to hear what has worked for other folks? I have tried just going up to people in public and saying "can I take your photo?" and that works sometimes but I'd love other ideas.
 
Last edited:
Welcome!

I'm a self-taught amateur and do some portrait photography. I feel I am not that great at it and would love to get in way more experience. But finding models isn't easy. I too would like to know how to get people to sit for portraits (for free).
 
Last edited:
I am a long-time "family moment" digital photographer but new to actually paying attention to the photos I take (versus just capturing the moment before it slips away.) With my retirement looming I have started investing more in gear and spending a lot more time taking photos. I'm a computer programmer by background and so I have built out a little site to share my photos here:

etp.hotography

I spend a lot of time photographing cars but would like to get more into portraits and capturing people and emotions so I would be curious to hear what has worked for other folks? I have tried just going up to people in public and saying "can I take your photo?" and that works sometimes but I'd love other ideas.
I wonder how current policy on immigrants will affect taking photos of strangers in public places . . .
 
I am a long-time "family moment" digital photographer but new to actually paying attention to the photos I take (versus just capturing the moment before it slips away.) With my retirement looming I have started investing more in gear and spending a lot more time taking photos. I'm a computer programmer by background and so I have built out a little site to share my photos here:

etp.hotography

I spend a lot of time photographing cars but would like to get more into portraits and capturing people and emotions so I would be curious to hear what has worked for other folks? I have tried just going up to people in public and saying "can I take your photo?" and that works sometimes but I'd love other ideas.
Peeked in to your site. Very nicely done. I previewed a bit in our 'places' thread. Some really good shots in there. Much enjoyed.
 
I wonder how current policy on immigrants will affect taking photos of strangers in public places . . .
Seem's to me if they are in public places they give up a right to complain. You can take a photo of someone on their property but can't step on their property and do it without their permission. That whole thing bother's me to the point I seldom take photo's of anyone I don't know. I think the OP's got it right, he's an extrovert so just asks the people! Problem solved either OK or no and just move along.
 
I wonder how current policy on immigrants will affect taking photos of strangers in public places . . .
Well let's say your a bank robber and just robbed a bank and running away. I don't think the court would take your side against the guy that took your photo while you were running off. If your an immigrant your re still a person in a public place. Your over thinking the problem, I think! Although this is America and overthinking seems to be a way of life anymore!
 
I am a long-time "family moment" digital photographer but new to actually paying attention to the photos I take (versus just capturing the moment before it slips away.) With my retirement looming I have started investing more in gear and spending a lot more time taking photos. I'm a computer programmer by background and so I have built out a little site to share my photos here:

etp.hotography

I spend a lot of time photographing cars but would like to get more into portraits and capturing people and emotions so I would be curious to hear what has worked for other folks? I have tried just going up to people in public and saying "can I take your photo?" and that works sometimes but I'd love other ideas.
Your at a point of no return. You will never take a perfect photo, at least not in your view. every time your just about there the standard raises! What's beyond perfect anyway? That's the problem, beyond perfect doesn't exist. Best you can do is satisfy yourself! Reach perfect and what comes after it is down hill!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom