Grip... opinions: Brand or third party

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about getting a grip for my Canon T2i. My reason for wanting one, is because I think the shutter button when shooting in portrait might make things easier. I really have no complaints about battery life... mine seems to last forever and I always carry a spare.

I have seen a third party brand grip that gets great reviews on amazon, and of course the Canon brand. Both have the option of using 2 camera batteries or 6 AA batteries, and I like that versatility. The price difference is about $75. (with which I could buy a YN speedlight)

Do any of you have any experience with non-brand grips? Any thoughts, opinions etc... This the one I'm looking at:Amazon.com: Photive Battery Grip for Canon EOS Rebel T5i, T4i, T3i, T2i (Replaces Canon BG-E8) PH-GRP550D: Electronics

I have a battery from this brand and its been great, actually lasts a little longer than the canon one.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's fifty bucks. About what a full tank of gas costs me. I think that's worth the price. Given a $75 difference between the generic and the Canon grip, you could buy TWO of the 3rd party grips, and still be $25 ahead...so, I dunno. Not having exhaustively researched the 3rd party grip, I'd still say give one of them a try. And yeah, I do think a grip is helpful when shooting in vertical mode...it just creates a better wrist and hand position and angle. If you're shooting a LOT in vertical mode, a grip reallllllllllly helps.

Thanks Derrel-- that's kinda what I thought... for $50 give it a shot. I don't think the Canon is expensive, but I thought the other one might be worth trying anyway.

Go with the brand. I have a Vello grip for my Nikon that just doesn't work. Sending it back today. Never has a problem with the brand ones I have had and they seen to feel and fit more solidly. The buttons are firm, not mushy.

When I moved from point and shoot to DSLR several years ago, I found a used 30D with battery grip for a very good price. I added a hand strap to it and found it was the perfect setup for me. The 30D was subsequently replaced by a gripped 60D (ebay fake Canon grip that worked perfectly) and since upgraded to a 5D mark iii...gripped, of course. But after reading a couple of 'war stories' about grip compatability issues with the then new 5D3s, I 'bit the bullet' and bought a genuine Canon grip from B&H.

That said, if you check a variety of 'what grip' threads on this forum as well as others, you'll find that Vello gets the most 'works great' votes.

Also, 3rd party batteries, even knockoff (fake) Canon batteries have had mixed reviews. Take some time to look up some of the threads about battery brands as well.

Go with the brand. I have a Vello grip for my Nikon that just doesn't work. Sending it back today. Never has a problem with the brand ones I have had and they seen to feel and fit more solidly. The buttons are firm, not mushy.

I had a Vello grip on my D7000 and never had a single issue. It was pretty much indistinguishable from the Nikon, but 1/4 of the cost.

I use the Flashpoint grips for my Mark 2 and Mark 3's. I purchased them from Adorama. I have had no problems with them. There is a significant price difference between those and the Canon ones when you get to the higher end cameras.

For my own peace of mind, I just grabbed the nikon-grip, and I love it. Built well, sturdy, and I don't have to worry about having any issues with it. I know that when I attach it to my tripod, I don't have to worry about 1500 or 2000 dollars worth of gear falling off because the grip's screw-mount gave out.

Jake

When I had my XTi, I bought the Targus branded grip via Amazon. That grip fit very well. Some of the comments/reviews I read saying it use the same mold or something like as the OEM version and that is why is fit very well. And the look and feel is also great (outside).

Later on, I bought the 40D and got myself a Canon branded Grip. Then I compared it with the Targus XTi grip. The look a feel was a little different, but both of them were good. The main difference between the 2 were the button feel. The Canon version shutter button feel exactly the same as the one on the camera, while the Targus one feel a little different. And I like the Canon button feel. Especially the 1/2 press shutter button feel. It is hard to explain in words how they were different.

Now with my 7D, I don't use grip anymore. Do not like the extra weight.

I only use Nikon grips and never had a problem. But they do cost heaps more, so if budgets tight buy a third party but you may get problems. I've always saved to get the genuine gear, I just feel it wont let me down and it'll be 100% compatible out of the box.

I'm thinking about getting a grip for my Canon T2i. My reason for wanting one, is because I think the shutter button when shooting in portrait might make things easier.

It depends on what and how you are shooting whether the portrait button is a plus.

If you are unhurried and have the time to alter your hold on the camera, say to shoot a few portrait shots, then a grip with a portriat hold is fine.

but

If you are constantly switching back and forth from landscape to portrait then using the grip to shoot in portrait will slow you down immensely.

I think the point here is that you will hear from more people who had problems with a 3rd party grip than an OEM one. I had a flashpoint that was flawless, the vello was crap. No problems with any OEM, ever. Just depends on how important it is to you and budget of course.

I have two Canon grips and have never had a problem with either of them. I won't comment on the third party ones, as I have no experience with them, aside from saying I've heard both good and bad, though.

I got the grips because I like the extra real estate. I've got huge hands...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back