Group photos

Mary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I have school group photos of 6th year graders coming up, there would be about 20 or 30 students in each class. I am just looking for advice on what would be the best aperture etc to get Everyone in good focus. hopefully they will be taken outside, if not it will be in a GYM. I have a canon 20D, my Canon 16 -35mm L lens and Canon 580EX II flash.

Also some photos will be printed up to 20 x24 inch these will be the sports team photos going up on the school walls. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Hi, Mary.

Much will depend on how many rows (how deep) you pose them. If you have them in 3 rows, and you're working with that short zoom, I'd guess you'll be fine with f8... maybe even f5.6

Good luck!

-Pete

Hey, thanx i found out that there will be a photo of all the students in the year. there are about 85-95 students. what aperture would be best and any idea on arranging them in the photo?? please thanks

Hey, thanx i found out that there will be a photo of all the students in the year. there are about 85-95 students. what aperture would be best and any idea on arranging them in the photo?? please thanks

My first thought is to take them outside and get yourself up high... maybe on a roof if there is easy access. This will solve any lighting issues too.

If you have to be indoors, look for some bleachers... any way you can see all their faces without resorting to posing them in a long line with lots of ceiling and floor.

Good luck!

-Pete

Thanks. i might be taking them inside a gym and there is a balcony so if i shoot from up there do you think F11 should get everyone in focus? thanks

Thanks. i might be taking them inside a gym and there is a balcony so if i shoot from up there do you think F11 should get everyone in focus? thanks

This is a bit of a judgement call you'll have to make at that time. If you'll be shooting with available light, you may have to shoot at a fairly high ISO to get f11. I think f11 should do it with that lens. So, if you can shoot at ISO 400 or less with a quick enough shutter speed to assure there will be no blurring due to subject or camera movement, I'm guessing you'll be OK.

As for arrangement, I would begin by anchoring the camera and then, while viewing through the lens, position a kid at each of the four corners. Then have the rest of the little darlings file in.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

There is no way you be able to shoot at F11 in a gym, most sports photographers have to shoot at F2.8 iso1600-3200 to get 1/500 if my maths are right going on the settings above F11 iso1600-3200 you will be at 1/30

Thanks guys for your help. i got on grand, i used F11 which gave 1/30 at ISO 400. i ended up putting them in 5 rows. there was 95 of them :) the shot came out good. thanks

Most reactions

Back