Guide for aperature settings, ISO settings, etc..??

brookie418

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am fairly new to photography and was wondering if anyone knows of where I can go to see a guide to aperature settings, ISO settings, and all of that, based on whether you are outside/inside, have a lot of light or not much light, etc...

Please don't be mean if this sounds like a stupid question!! I know I don't know much a/b cameras, I just LOVE photography and want to be the best I can possibly be at it! ;)

this is a lot to explain in a post....

pick up the semi outdated but much loved book Understand Exposure by Brian Peterson.... it's available at most local bookstores... he has a good way of explaining shutter/aperture/iso in relation to what you are trying to say in your image....

and btw fyi it's aperture...

there is also much you can learn on the internet... most of it is fragmented... if you get the book the additional stuff you learn off the internet starts to make more sense...

good luck!!!

It completely depends on how much light you have...and cameras have built-in light meters. So just look at what the camera is telling you, and use that as a guide.

As for what combination of aperture, shutter speed and ISO to use...that's always a give and take relationship and it's up to you to decide what is most important for your shot. And when you must make a compromise (which is most of the time), you must decide what and how much.

well first of definatly get the book Recomeneded - Understanding Exposure - the newest editions also consider digital photography. Also I would recomend (for starting out) The Digital Photography Book by Scot Kelby - the amazon site has a video where he talks about the book:
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219260631&sr=8-3[/ame]
and its accurate - the book very much is a settings for different occasions guide - its not explaining the settings (that is what the other book is for) and nor is it dealing with all the different conditions you will end up with in teh field - but it does give you a good grounding in where to start with settings.

After that look about bookshops for books that deal specifically with your subject areas of interest and get those books that show not only photos, but settings used and kit (if you are into studio work look for those which show studio setups for different effects). There are a lot of generalist digital photography books which pretty much rehash the same information as you can get from the Peterson book, a bit of experimentation and some websurfing - don't both with them, look to the specifics.

Oh and practice, practice, practice!
Goodluck

Did you read the manual that came with your camera? It usually covers those subjects. If you don't have the manual any photo how to book will cover it.

Most reactions

Back