guys! solar flares and auroras tonight!

When they say "Northern US" in the article, I'm pretty sure they mean states on the Canadian border... Or close anyway.

I'm about 1000 miles due south of Fargo ... pretty sure Texas (or Florida) doesn't qualify as Northern US... :lol:

on cbs news they said people from maine to michigan should be able to see it. i'm hoping that i will see soemthing in massachusetts.

Nothing other than light is traveling at the ...speed of light. Tonights possible effect will be the plasma of a solar storm hitting our atmosphere and reacting with it's gasses. You're not seeing anything on the Sun, you're seeing what the Sun spit out interact with the atmosphere.

I am in Southern Michigan, I am not sure if I will be able to see anything at all either, but I am optimistic! The news keeps hinting towards the story...but nothing yet. I just called our 3rd shift Technician at my company and told him "I dont care what time it is, if you see it you call me"! I have always wanted to go to Alaska for this reason alone....Sure isnt to see Sarah Palin..lol

T
Here's something ironic, I live in Alaska and I will not see them, no matter how bright they are. We're still getting 18ish hours of sunlight, and the other 6ish hours are closer to twilight. Winter is our best aurora time, can't ever see them in the Summer.
I lived in anchorage for about 6 years and the only time I would see the show was in the middle of winter, early in the morning or around midnight. Awesomeness all around! Nothing like seeing them while on a run. Extra motivati!

Nothing other than light is traveling at the ...speed of light.
All massless particles travel at the speed of light. Light is photons, just one of the group of massless particles.

I didn't see any Northern Lights here in Iowa.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back