Hair

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Only about 3cm long but moved like a tarantula. Maybe a young one.

51820165248_eff54b61fb_b.jpg

Growing up in Spain, these were common place, there a few species you wouldn't want to get too close to, but the Tarantulas always seemed plenty placid, a friend of mine kept one as a pet.

One thing you did in the morning was to check your shoes, as you never knew if anything had crawled into them.....

Growing up in Spain, these were common place, there a few species you wouldn't want to get too close to, but the Tarantulas always seemed plenty placid, a friend of mine kept one as a pet.

One thing you did in the morning was to check your shoes, as you never knew if anything had crawled into them.....
I recall a story about a guy in Sydney, Australia that didn't check his shoes and when he put his foot in one he said he felt a sharp pain and he yanked his foot out. Then he observed a funnel web spider crawling out. He was an elderly guy and lucky to've survived the bite, thanks in great part to the antivenom.

Agreed the tarantulas I've seen in Colomba are quite docile. Don't forget they too have something to worry about: the Tarantula Hawk wasp.

Nice! Of course I'm a little biased as I keep tarantulas as pets. I can't tell what species that is but there aren't any tarantulas in the new world (Americas) with medically significant venom. There are some with 3/4" long fangs and horrible urticating setae though......

Nice! Of course I'm a little biased as I keep tarantulas as pets. I can't tell what species that is but there aren't any tarantulas in the new world (Americas) with medically significant venom. There are some with 3/4" long fangs and horrible urticating setae though......
I read in the book Amazing Arachnids

That new world tarantulas have urticating setae as a defence against grasshopper mice

I read in the book Amazing Arachnids

That new world tarantulas have urticating setae as a defence against grasshopper mice
There's something like five or seven (I forget exactly how many) different types of setae depending on tarantula species; each type of setae targets a different predator such as rodents, mammals or birds.

Awesome pic!

Great shot. I like the shadow.

how do you find all these creatures??

Most reactions

Back