Haitian Immigrants In Cali

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A bit of photojournalism here: Thousands of Haitians immagrants most without documents are passing through Colombia in an effort to reach the United States. Currently many are holed up at the Cali, Colombia bus terminal unable to get transport northward to the border with Panamá. Officially they can't board interdepartmental busses without documentation but the city is trying to waive that requirement in order to move them on. Many are taking pirate transport. Their journey is stunningly arduous. I found one who spoke Spanish and asked him about it. He said they flew to Chile at a cost of three thousand dollars then bussed their way north through Peru then Ecuador and on into Colombia. This became especially difficult over the last few days when fifteen hundred of them were massed at the border with Ecuador unable to continue as bus services had collapsed under the load of migrants. Once they pass through Colombia and reach Necoclí on the Gulf of Urabá they must cross that body of water to reach Capurganá which is on the border with Panamá. According to the news there are 12,000 in Nacoclí at the moment. At Capurganá the real struggle begins. They must trek several days through the Darién jungle crossing rivers, and fending off poisonous snakes and attacks by robbers. A fair number don't make it. Those that do then must travel through Central America and Mexico before attempting to cross into the US. Though more than 90% are Haitian there are Brazillians, Africans and Cubans as well. There must have been three hundred or more at the terminal today. As can be seen in the photos many small children make this treacherous journey.

51372100061_7e3e99f724_b.jpg

51372329383_fb78319046_b.jpg

Man, this is sad. What a World we live in.

Their journey is stunningly arduous.
Wow! I had no idea they started in Chile and traveled north. And young children. Are you planning on a series of photos?

Great stories. Their perseverance is astonishing.

I agree with Cheryl; a series of photos documenting their journeys and hardships would be a good project. Anything that helps shine the light on their predicaments might help them.

A very sad reality of life around the world.....

Thank you yes a series would be good but I would only be able to more shots like the ones I posted because my only access to them is if I visit the bus terminal. In the news today the Colombian and Panamenian governments are going to try to collaborate on a plan so they don't have to pass through the Darién which will save lives and hardship. Neither government has any problem with the undocumented migrants as they are only passing through with no intention of remaining in the country.

Hello Nikon, likewise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back