Halloween pics for c&c............................

jwilly1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know. It's getting late for these. They were taken just before Halloween. Any and all C&C would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I've tried using colored gels over speedlights to light a scene like this. The setup was basically a speedlight with a red gel off the back left aimed high, and then a studio light with a large umbrella to the front right of the model aimed down from slightly above. 35mm f/1.8 Nikon lens set at f/2 @ 1/125s ISO 200. Had to get your opinion on these before Thanksgiving gets here....

PHOTO 1

5 x 7 CHAINS DSC_0024 for posting.jpg

PHOTO 2
5X7 KNEE BEND 1 for posting.jpg

PHOTO 3
5X7 SPREAD THOSE WINGS for posting.jpg

Comparing this to Coming out of the shadows. Your post processing is definitely improved, her face now has some clearly defined highlights and shadows that were smoothed out before. I still think it's a bit too much processing on the skin other than that you could have used a tiny bit of fill to help with the hat shadow.

I think your gelled background details look fairly good, but I'd probably prefer some fall-off near the edge of the frame to prevent it from distracting the eye too much. The bones are also a little distracting.

The candle in the foreground is a neat idea, but I don't think it really adds anything to the image.

Have you considered elevating your camera a bit?

Not bad, certainly improved :)

Comparing this to Coming out of the shadows. Your post processing is definitely improved, her face now has some clearly defined highlights and shadows that were smoothed out before. I still think it's a bit too much processing on the skin other than that you could have used a tiny bit of fill to help with the hat shadow.

I think your gelled background details look fairly good, but I'd probably prefer some fall-off near the edge of the frame to prevent it from distracting the eye too much. The bones are also a little distracting.

The candle in the foreground is a neat idea, but I don't think it really adds anything to the image.

Have you considered elevating your camera a bit?

Not bad, certainly improved :)
I really appreciate the input. I actually shot these straight on at eye level, I thought. I've also read recently that for a full length portrait, you should shoot up on the model to lengthen legs etc. Any thought on that? I've always shot at eye level.

I really appreciate the input. I actually shot these straight on at eye level, I thought. I've also read recently that for a full length portrait, you should shoot up on the model to lengthen legs etc. Any thought on that? I've always shot at eye level.

It's not necessarily good to always shoot at the same level (above, below, eye level etc)

Here's a video explaining the effects of camera height

How to Improve Your Portraits By Using the Right Camera Height – PictureCorrect

Not sure why the pictured aren't showing up for me. :-( I've tried to look two days in a row. Hmm....

Not sure why the pictured aren't showing up for me. :-( I've tried to look two days in a row. Hmm....
I think they are large files. I'm new to the posting on forums, so I may have made them larger than they needed to be....

Finally got these to load on another computer.
The highlights:
I really like the stage you've setup here! While I am no expert, I think the lighting is very nice! You have a beautiful model.
The lowlights:
I feel like the facial expression just doesnt go with the mood you've set. I think more of a "glare" with a "smirk" sort of expression would have befitted the setup better. Or I don't know? Something a little more serious or sinister. In number three, I would have liked to see some of her far arm to balance out the shot. The pose in number two just really isn't flattering, and I would probably scrap it.

Finally got these to load on another computer.
The highlights:
I really like the stage you've setup here! While I am no expert, I think the lighting is very nice! You have a beautiful model.
The lowlights:
I feel like the facial expression just doesnt go with the mood you've set. I think more of a "glare" with a "smirk" sort of expression would have befitted the setup better. Or I don't know? Something a little more serious or sinister. In number three, I would have liked to see some of her far arm to balance out the shot. The pose in number two just really isn't flattering, and I would probably scrap it.
Thanks for making the extra effort! I really appreciate the input. I was concerned about the missing arm in 3 also, but I loved the pic so I kept it. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Most reactions

Back