Hamilton Bulldogs game

Hoser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the local AHL game and tried to see what I could do. I was in a not so good spot for taking pics, but I tried as best to deal with where I was seated. 19 rows up in the corner, so I had to deal with the mesh, and the glass. Critique at your will as these are the best 3 of the 15 or so I took without having to do any fixing in Photoshop. Unfortunately I don't have a fast enough lens to up the shutter speed without losing a lot of light, so I had to play with the ISO settings and hope for the best. Here's the results.......

First shot is of Sergei Kostitsyn going into a rush. this was taken with a Sigma 70-300mm. Click the picture for EXIF.

meta

Scramble for the puck in front of the net. Again taken with the Sigma lens mentioned above. Click the picture for EXIF.

For this shot I used the 18-70mm lens that came with the camera. (Sony Alpha 300) Click the photo for EXIF.

Don't be shy....let me know how I did, and what I can do to improve. Besides spending $2k on a faster zoom lens that is. :wink:

I think you did a good job considering the conditions :) I have that lens as well (Sigma 70-300), really not the best for high speed sport ;) But as you can see, it can get the job done.

At that distance even an external flash probably wouldn't help (and they might not be allowed..) , however I see you shot at ISO 800, don't be afraid to try ISO 1600 if you have it, the pics will be a bit noisy but there are many good plugins for eliminating that, Noiseware for example is excellent and is available freeware as a standalone program or you can buy it as a plugin for Photoshop.

I think you did a good job considering the conditions :) I have that lens as well (Sigma 70-300), really not the best for high speed sport ;) But as you can see, it can get the job done.

I got that lens because the 70-210 beercan I had just wasn't enough zoom for most things I want to shoot. I know it's not ideal for stuff like this, but I'll deal with it.

At that distance even an external flash probably wouldn't help (and they might not be allowed..) , however I see you shot at ISO 800, don't be afraid to try ISO 1600 if you have it, the pics will be a bit noisy but there are many good plugins for eliminating that, Noiseware for example is excellent and is available freeware as a standalone program or you can buy it as a plugin for Photoshop.

Yeah, I figured an external would be useless because of the distance, and I didn't want to chance getting kicked out for using a flash. I was skeptical to go over ISO 800 because of the noise, but I'll check out that Noiseware you mentioned and I think I read somewhere in here about a program called Noise Ninja.

Thanx for the feedback.....I appreciate it.:wink:

Most reactions

Back