Hand held 600mm

Lez325

Wildlife Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As title I decided to try hand holding a 600mm f4 lens- shot from my back garden of some locals at various times during the day- at home awaiting a delivery :(

Sony a9 + Sony 600mm f4 hand held

jicuYKm.jpg

1. House Sparrow
wo17ndX.jpg

2. Herring Gull
9T5gs04.jpg

3, Starling
d5618FR.jpg

And a horse and rider along the river bank behind my house

BZ3KCUq.jpg

Les :)

Last edited:
Nice! Beautiful as always! I'm learning a lot from you :)

I always shoot handheld with high shutter speeds. Not even sure where my tripod is anymore. My lens is 510mm and my BIF shots are almost always at 1/2000th. If it's a BOAS (Bird On A Stick) I'll go as low as 1/640th and hope they don't decide to take off and lose my chance at a BIF. Motion blur is a big concern with me, I don't know how to fix it in software.

Nice! Beautiful as always! I'm learning a lot from you :)

I always shoot handheld with high shutter speeds. Not even sure where my tripod is anymore. My lens is 510mm and my BIF shots are almost always at 1/2000th. If it's a BOAS (Bird On A Stick) I'll go as low as 1/640th and hope they don't decide to take off and lose my chance at a BIF. Motion blur is a big concern with me, I don't know how to fix it in software.
Thank you Mitch- I appreciate that - I try to get the fastest shutter speed I can- to avoid blur of any kind- the lens I used for theses is an f4 and gets lots of light so it is easy enough to get high SS and low ISO

This - 1/3200th sec f4 iso 400

K0FMO8q.jpg

Les

I know wildlife/ birding is supossed to be sharp sharp sharp nothing but tack sharp- but I like motion blur on wings. If you can get the eyes sharp, but blur the wings - there's a challenge. Or panning. very difficult with birds for sure.

Nice set.

Very good set! I particularly like the Herring Gull.
Thank you Jeff :)
Nice set, Lez. I like #1 best for it's detail and the duck is pretty sweet.
Thank you Kirk - common House Sparrows - 100's around here :)
I know wildlife/ birding is supossed to be sharp sharp sharp nothing but tack sharp- but I like motion blur on wings. If you can get the eyes sharp, but blur the wings - there's a challenge. Or panning. very difficult with birds for sure.
Yes indeed it is a difficult task to get that perfect balance of eye sharp yet wings blurred is all about shutter speed- High shutter speed = tack sharp- Slow shutter speed = blur and as for panning with the massive 600mm is darn near impossible - given the size and weight
Nice set.
Thank you Slat :)

Les

Most reactions

New Topics

Back