Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey TPF!

On my way back today from class I noticed a male Valley Carpenter Bee hanging out in some plants. He seemed pretty sessile, and I have been trying to shoot these guys for about the past week or so (see posts in Nature section or on flickr for other shots), but up to now I've never seen one sitting still. So, I popped out the 55-250 and spent about half an hour with him before the lighting left. Overall, I think the first is some of the best insect photography I've ever done, hence posting it here for more to enjoy over my normal turf (Nature section).

Here's the two best shots, hope you enjoy them! If you have a favorite, let me know. This means you all you lurkers ;)

1. My favorite, primarily from his posture adding continuity to the photo, and also the nice dynamic lighting adding some depth.

Hangin' On A Limb by TogaLive, on Flickr

2. My second favorite from our little session. Not as dynamic in terms of lighting, but I focused on the eyes being the subject and think they came out quite well. The OOF foreground leaves were a conscious decision to add depth.

The Carpenter's Eyes by TogaLive, on Flickr

What do you think? As always, CC is appreciated!

Best,

Toga

Last edited:
Second shot is beautiful

Thanks Rotanimod and Invisible, glad to know you like them! Interesting that you should like #2 ;)

Anyone else?

I find the exposure and the lighting much more pleasing in number 2. I'm curious also how it would look in landscape orientation.

I LOVE them. Especially its eyes in the second one.

Yes, in the second image It is more closer to the viewer looking straight into the viewer's eyes and heart... naturally viewer has no other option than to like the second more... the harshness of the flower buds in the first also a distraction in the first :D

After so many people had mentioned the brightness of the foliage in #1 being an issue, I decided to go back and get rid of some highlights. What do you think?

IMG_3285-3.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back