hard time shooting birds in flight

rick93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey friends,

Getting focus right on has been tough for me. Last week I finally got a shot that I thought was kind of decent. Thought I would share it on here and see what you all think and what I have to improve.
The background was kind of dark so I had to bump ISO up to 800. Shutter speed was at 1/250 sec ( I guess should have been faster but it wasn't very light) f/5.6 and focal length at 259.0mm. This is the first one I got with a dark background so that the birds colors are visible.
Why is the background so grainy? Is it because of the high ISO?

IMG_7017.jpg

Thanks all ;)

Last edited:
Noise (grain) is probably due to high ISO. But, noise is better than blur. I added about 50 percent luminance with LR which helps keep the noise in balance. Great capture!

Attachments

• $bird in flight-2.jpg
    $bird in flight-2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 142
Very nice shot!! Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. You need to keep the shutter speed up - I rarely go below 1/640 for in-flight shots. Unfortunately, bumping up the ISO comes with the the risk of noise. Some days the weather simply doesn't allow for in-flight shots and there's nothing you can do unless you are lucky enough to have a fast telephoto lens.

Everything you said you are doing sounds fine.

Risk of noise??? Ha! I prefer noise in my shots. Softens everything very nicely. But I'm a weirdo. When it comes to sharp photos, what's good for the goose may not be good for the Drex.

Pretty good shot. I can never seem to pan correctly when shooting birds in flight. I will continue trying though. Thank you for the inspiration!

Yeah, I have YET to get a good bird-in-flight shot. Every time everything finally all lines up right...camera settings, right weather conditions, bird flying...I seem to choke and miss the fool thing!

For a shutter speed of 1/250, I'd say that's a heck of a shot! I've been told to keep it over 1/1000 for the sharpest in-flight shots, but you either have to have great natural lighting conditions or flash for that.

Thanks all. Looks like I was lucky because I'm the noob of the noobs. Thanks again and lets keep shooting.

Very cool shot. Ran it through Imagenomic plugin in ps and came out similar to the other edit only with a bit more noise removal...still preserving the lines.

I have only gotten one bird in flight myself....they are a pain for sure, but fun to try.

$IMG_7017.jpg

Wow Ernicus, that edit is amazing. Wish PS wouldn't be so expansive!

Nice flight shot.....for me thou I always try to shot 1/500 or more for flight shots

You should def hook up and listen to Eric D, his bird shots are stunning works.

Yes, EricD BIF shots are amazing!

Great capture , I like the motion blur in the wings. Well done.

Here is how I shoot ANY moving object:
- choose a focuspoint (usually 1) [if you have time before it]
- center the subject on the focuspoint
- shoot like crazy (DO NOT wait between the focusing sound and shutter... press... press... press and keep the focuspoint on the object)
note: you might wish to consider moving to Continuous shooting mode!

I've shot Butterflies at ISO 800, and didn't have a noise issue. How much of a crop did you do? That could be a major contributing factor to all that noise. Personally, the image looks great as is, as the noise really doesn't bother me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back