Harvest moon rising

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Very last minute decided to go to a photo meetup to shoot the rising Harvest moon over Boston harbor islands from Castle Island in Southie. Why I (a telecommuter) would subject myself to Friday Boston rush hour traffic is a mystery. It won’t happen again any time soon. But I went, I got there just in time to set up, the moon rose behind an obstruction, I made the most of it. They aren’t great by any means but with the distance and me with my puny 50-230 at full zoom, they aren’t terrible either.
CC903A24-B173-4043-A369-1FA577966907 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
8D4ADB1D-A7FA-4A07-BE50-F04B2BD4482B by SharonCat..., on Flickr
08C94974-0A82-4A4D-A465-7C50263548CF by SharonCat..., on Flickr
D590DD3B-D5DE-4442-B428-A73D99D7FCA4 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
1938949D-A542-4A59-B1EC-6C681F371804 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Lovely set. I like the way the moon. Particularly like #5.

Very last minute decided to go to a photo meetup to shoot the rising Harvest moon over Boston harbor islands from Castle Island in Southie. Why I (a telecommuter) would subject myself to Friday Boston rush hour traffic is a mystery. It won’t happen again any time soon. But I went, I got there just in time to set up, the moon rose behind an obstruction, I made the most of it. They aren’t great by any means but with the distance and me with my puny 50-230 at full zoom, they aren’t terrible either.
I disagree - I think they are great. I just wonder if #3 (my favorite) wouldn't work better as a horizontal crop, keeping the bright light on the water under the tower and going up to a little above the second light on the tower.

Lovely set. I like the way the moon. Particularly like #5.

Thanks!

I disagree - I think they are great. I just wonder if #3 (my favorite) wouldn't work better as a horizontal crop, keeping the bright light on the water under the tower and going up to a little above the second light on the tower.

That’s funny I was just working on that crop on #2. Here are both. I just don’t like cutting the crane off. It looks unintentional.

EF7F523F-69B2-4F5D-B45C-7CFA17CB3B12 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

BC5289F9-53DC-4758-A302-DF987A22DDB9 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

That first one is so cool! I like #5 too. This was worth Friday afternoon traffic.

I keep going back to look at the first one. Print it!

I don't think the crops work. Maybe #2 could use a slight crop; there's enough space at the top, bottom, and both sides to take off a smidge (and about the same amount on all four sides) to tighten it up a little. I wouldn't do much, you don't need to mess with good.

The last one would make a nice print too. I'd take a 5x7 of #1 and hmm, not sure which other one, they'd look nice displayed together; what do you charge for a small print?

That first one is so cool! I like #5 too. This was worth Friday afternoon traffic.

I keep going back to look at the first one. Print it!

I don't think the crops work. Maybe #2 could use a slight crop; there's enough space at the top, bottom, and both sides to take off a smidge (and about the same amount on all four sides) to tighten it up a little. I wouldn't do much, you don't need to mess with good.

The last one would make a nice print too. I'd take a 5x7 of #1 and hmm, not sure which other one, they'd look nice displayed together; what do you charge for a small print?

Thanks!

While the traffic was a real waste, it was time we’ll spent once I got there. I have a workshop later this month that focuses on blue hour and night sky stuff so I definitely needed the practice. I rarely even use my tripod so this was good for me. Going to try a few more night shoots before the workshop date so I can at least be more familiar with night focusing techniques and adjusting the framing quickly with my tripod which I struggled with on this shoot.

Looks good! I like #2 & 3

Thanks!

Nice set and they aren't bad, I think they're great. If you want to see bad you should see my pics from last nights harvest Moon. Man, what a let down, I went to a local but somewhat secluded site outside of town on a hilltop to ensure a good view and what do I get …. clouds and more clouds. I waited there for three hours and the mosquitos surely had their dessert that night. Finally, I saw a developing break in the clouds and I waited for 20 minutes more and when the moon showed itself I started firing away but the clouds proved to be too much, all pics were fubar. I'm going back out tonight if the sky is clear and get some payback! The mosquitos will get some desert again I suppose, ugh! Edit: More clouds and thunderstorms on the way tonight, next year maybe.
IMG_1646 (3)ps.jpg

Last edited:
Man, what a let down, I went to a local but somewhat secluded site outside of town on a hilltop to ensure a good view and what do I get …. clouds and more clouds.

What a bummer! That happened to me with the super moon a few years ago. Clear skies, nice temps, all set up with a lighthouse framed right next to where the moon was going to come up and the horizon clouded up about 20 minutes before moonrise! By the time it got above the clouds it was no longer “super”, just a moon.

Man, what a let down, I went to a local but somewhat secluded site outside of town on a hilltop to ensure a good view and what do I get …. clouds and more clouds.

What a bummer! That happened to me with the super moon a few years ago. Clear skies, nice temps, all set up with a lighthouse framed right next to where the moon was going to come up and the horizon clouded up about 20 minutes before moonrise! By the time it got above the clouds it was no longer “super”, just a moon.

Yep, when the moon was high up around 10pm it just didn't have the same effect as when it's on the horizon and all huge looking. To heal yesterdays wounds of failure I'm refocusing my attention to slow cooking a nice 4 lb. pork shoulder in the smoker today. If there's one thing that can lift my spirits it's good BBQ. :pig: :trink39:

You get an A for effort, that's for sure - you definitely have some decent shots, nice angles and GREAT moon colors! I think the first one looks totally surreal - my fave of the bunch. It's so cool; the natural distortion of the big harvest moon (and likely, the lens) throws everything out of whack - in a good way. :icon_thumbsup:

For something so spur of the moment, you should be pleased with these.

For something so spur of the moment, you should be pleased with these.

I was planning on going all along then Princess reminded the day before me that I said she could use the car that night so then I was just planning to stay in. I ended up borrowing my mom’s car and rushing out at the last minute so it was a scramble at the end!

Great set! #1 is my favorite, with 5 a close second.

Wonderful! I love these.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back